Wazza diff bet Pentium® M & ordinary Pentium® 4?

Seb

Lo ppl,
Wazza diff bet an Intel<sup>®</sup> Pentium <sup>®</sup> M Processor up to 1.7GHz & a Mobile Intel<sup>®</sup> Pentium<sup>®</sup> 4 processors up to 3.06GHz?

seb said:
Lo ppl,
Wazza diff bet an Intel<sup>®</sup> Pentium <sup>®</sup> M Processor up to 1.7GHz & a Mobile Intel<sup>®</sup> Pentium<sup>®</sup> 4 processors up to 3.06GHz?
Pentium M is last generation processors, designed exclusively for laptops and similar low consumption devices. Unless you conseider buying a portable, it has no meaning searching for a Pentium M solution.
I do have a Pentium M system (Acer TravelMate 291 LMi laptop) and I'm very happy with it.

For the same bucks you can get an Acer Travelmate 291 LMi (like I did). Both have the same mobo and CPU, same capacity HD, but the Acer comes with an 15" display (instead of 14.1") and a Toshiba SD-R 6112 DVD burner (instead of a plain DVD-ROM that Dell offers). It's only con is the built-in speakers, which are poor- else it's an exhellent machine for the money.

Seb

scarecrow said:
For the same bucks you can get an Acer Travelmate 291 LMi (like I did). Both have the same mobo and CPU, same capacity HD, but the Acer comes with an 15" display (instead of 14.1") and a Toshiba SD-R 6112 DVD burner (instead of a plain DVD-ROM that Dell offers). It's only con is the built-in speakers, which are poor- else it's an exhellent machine for the money.
I'll hav a look m8
Btw, what dyu think about the integrated graphix?
Hmmm :-/ http://it.asia1.com.sg/reviews/port/por001_20031119.html

Last edited:
It's pretty OK (Intel 82855 GPU), provided that you don't atually do DTP or video editing on the laptop. Actually it doesn't go over 1024*768 at 24-bit color.
If you're interested in such stuff you gotta spare about $ 1,000 more and get a PIV 3.06+ CPU with an ATI GPU... but that machine will suck the battery within 30 minutes, and also get VERY hot. The Acer lasts about 4.5 hours (!) on the normal battery, and the DVDRW can be replaced with a spare one, if needed... and it NEVER gets even warm.

Last edited:

Seb

The DELL inspiron 600m, available on the singapore webby has an ATI radeon 9000 GPU o_O
Any other notebooks i might consider? sony?

Seb

ok
DELL is no 1 in my shopping list
2. Sony VAIO coz its stylish
3. Acer
4. Toshiba
5. Fujitsu-Siemens

But am not getting a notebook that soon...maybe late sept 04...might get new models by then.
Thx

seb..Don't buy a Sony bro. I've had 2 one Intel and AMD both lovely looking units and both very very good units...But.. yes theres a very big But.
Sony's customer support is the ****'s and their units are over priced for what the are..Then they ripp you off with the warranty most times the charge you one way or another to fix or replace the item..For less money (depends where you buy it) and a better all round unit checkout ACi at www.ACI-asia.com or www.aciplc.com do a search in yahoo for BLC50 or BCL50-15 which is the same unit used by companys like Voodoo, gigabyte (NB501, ACi - Centurion, Compal and many many more..For the same unit from Voodoo m385 or ACi Centurion the search will bring up the same units at a cheaper cost. look here also http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Velocity_Micro_NoteMagix_B50/4505-3121_16-30425804-4.html
Or go for this AMD unit acer ferrari 3000...

Seb

I think DELL is the way to go, or scarecrow's acer
But i'll hav a chk on ur proposals...u know, am buying in late sept 2004 :rolleyes:

Untill September there should be a lot of new better cases...
Up to date I was buing only laptops from "big brands"- namely ICL (now under the Fujitsu-Siemens umbrella), Hewlett Packard (a disgusting machine... and by the way HP now also makes the Compaq laptops!), Toshiba (very good, but rather overpriced), and now Acer, which is clearly the best laptop, comparatively speaking, that I ever had.