water cooling

want some advice on water cooling is it a good idea?
i want to build a new computer amd 2600 xp, 512 ddr,
120 hd but don,t know if i should water cool it or use fans i want to use it for games and don,t want it to get too hot as i know amds do get hot.
so what would be best ?
and where could i get a good water cooling system from
thanx :D

Relocated by ...Rastabt :)

err water cooling is best suited 4 overclocking imo...although u can use it without overclocking....it may cool ur cpu more than fans,but this depends on the strength of pump used...the danger of water cooling is that if the tubing gets pierced,bye bye my pc.
i know there's innovatech which makes good water cooling stuff ,but quite expensive...
try have a look @ _http://www.amdmb.com...they make good reviews of amd related products & cooling stuff ;)

Last edited:
I have a waterchill kit(got it on sale), that i have modded some(submerged the pump, changed the tubing and fan) And im very pleased so far. Less noise than fan based cooling and lower temps too.
If your going to play games i would recommend getting a gpu cooler and a big radiator(2x120mm). This way a lot of the heat from the graphics card will be transferred straight out of your case.
Generally i wouldnt recommend bying a kit. Their often too expensive and performance is sub par(imo).
Wouldnt worry too much about leakage, just assemble it outside the case and run it for 12-24 hours
:)
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/index.html

Last edited:
Special reserve have a waterco0ling kit for £79.99 - it's pretty basic though!
http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/q_GG8641_water_cooling_syst.html

The radiator and reservoir fit in a 5 1/4" bay, so for best results, the topmost bay and the addition of a blowhole may be better.

Saw a recent newsgroup thread, where somebody found that one of QTEC's coolers (80mm fan) beat the esteemed Volcano 7 - in general, an 80mm fanned cooler will provide more cooling for less noise if well designed.

Unless you're into serious overclocking, watercooling probably isn't worth the trouble - the only other reason to favour it in less demanding circumstances, is it can be quieter than a conventional HSF.

Case cooling is also worth attending to - relyin on the PSU fan alone can leave the internal case temp as much above ambient, as the CPU temp is above case.

Most cases tend to have:
1 or 2 rear fan positions.
1 front position (use for intake).
Maybe a side fan fitted (normally intake).

It's best if the intake, exhaust fans are in balance - most systems have an exhaust bias, so the additional air enters through any available passive vents - usually resulting in dust and fluff in the floppy drive.

You can also fit coolers to hard drives (the typical underslung cooler) or put them in a bay cooler.

I have been using the volcano 9 (w/thermisistor on the cpu) and TT smart II case fans (2 in 1 out) w/thermisistors on the northbridge heatsink and my system is nearly silent - system temp abt 31-35 and cpu abt 35-38 (xp1700). However, you will soon find that there are as many solutions as users out there. Good luck.