video card

Pinnacle Studio DC10, for analog capture works great and can be used from various apps (Vegas, Premiere...).

I have been told that nvidia cards TI 4200 wich include capture options also work very well and with this option you would also get a good 3D accelerator.

mal,

Here in the US you can grab one of the nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 for less than $200. I don't know how well they are at video editing (I bet they work well, just have no experience with that). But it's true that they are excellent at 3D excelleration.

dx

weboneando has a good suggestion for an analogue card Mal. An under $200 Pinnacle Studio card is not going to be broadcast quality, but they are pretty good for home video.

If you have the option to go with DV, that is a much better choice. DV, a good Firewire connection, and good software like Adobe Premiere or AVID Express DV will give you excellent results.

BTW, have a look at EBay for a used Pinnacle card. I have seen peeps pick up pretty good deals with someone who is upgrading his system from analogue to digital and is willing to let a $1000 Pinnacle card go for $200-250.

dxkim said:
. I have seen peeps pick up pretty good deals with someone who is upgrading his system from analogue to digital and is willing to let a $1000 Pinnacle card go for $200-250.
WoW!!

I had no idea those cards could cost so much. Ebay sounds like the only way to go for such a high dollar item.

Would any of the ATI All-In-Wonders be suitable for video editing?

Wedge said:
Would any of the ATI All-In-Wonders be suitable for video editing?

Yep.....but don't expect miracles from the "wonders" :D........they do a fine job,quite easy to work with,but average quality(mine is a 32mb DDR Radeon)
Last time I used it,was with the 7.1 driver and multimedia package,in the mean time,Ati has updated to 7.6,maybe it's improved......

I have an ATI all in Wonder 128 pro working fine for me, for home-amateur video editing. I capture the video with it and use Vegas Video 3 to edit

dx

Wedge said:
WoW!!

I had no idea those cards could cost so much. Ebay sounds like the only way to go for such a high dollar item.
Yep, in fact they make video cards that go for over $5000. Pinnacle's main business is small broadcast companies. But I do know some of the biggies that use their systems and system components as well.

Well if anyone is interested I am selling a nvidia Quadro4 900XGL "the big boy" for $400 right now. I also have a 3Dlabs Wildcat VP870 for sale.

They were used for one week for a show demo. They both work perfectly. Each one retails for $1k but I need to get rid of them. They have been packaged in my drawer not doing a darn thing.

If you are interested PM me.