VHS Video To DVD

I have no doubt that Goldwave will load up my avi to extract the wav...but, as you said this can be slow.
Extracting\demuxing the audio from my avi with VDubMod or VDub works well and quick and will then play and convert etc without the clicking.

But the idea is to speed up this process, avoiding the manual conversion and resolve the besweet extraction\conversion clicking issue, which is obviously producing a corrupt wav file?
I'm hoping that version 2 of the AC3 pluggin will do the trick.

Thanxxx for the link CM......Big Kiss for that!

I'll report back tomorrow :)

Not much progress I'm afraid.....

Did a further 2 captures (2 different tapes) with mixed results.

The 1st, using both ac3enc2 and ac3enc4, the clicking had gone! But the extracted sound was only 3.22mins in length ??. I tried again and the same ?

The 2nd, The extracted\converted sound this time was in it's entirity, but again with the rapid clicking :( and as before the extracted wav will not play or load.

So I'm back to demuxing and converting manually.

Thanx
MXXX

Last edited:
Sounds like D2S is simply not extracting the audio correctly in the first place.

In DVD2SVCD's Audio tab, change the "AVI Audio extraction" to the other setting that your currently using. I've always used Internally with 99.99% extractions happening error free.

It's funny you should mention that. Before reading your post, I was looking at that very setting and thinking of changing it from 'VFW'.

Just recently my xvid conversions have been about 4 seconds out of sync??

I'll re-encode my recent xvid and see if that solves the sync issue, then try capturing again on my other machine with the AVI Audio extraction set to internally.

Will report back.

Thanx CM

XXX

Perfect! Well, for the capture encode that is.
Changing the setting to 'Internally' did the trick and with the ac3enc2 patch makes the process very simple and convenient, which gives me more time with my chores around the house.

There's just one thing you have to watch and that is the audio recording level, as tapes differ in output. Using the 'Windows Mixer' and the 'Volume Meter' accessible in VDub gives you control over this. Something worth checking before you start capturing. It will save a lot of time encoding and authoring only to discover the audio suffers distortion when the volume peaks......as I discovered :(

Anyway, kids are happier now that they can watch their favourite videos on DVD.
Using TMPGEnc DVD Author to create menus and chapters etc means no more fast forwarding/rewinding tapes....Brilliant!

Big thanx for everone's support......finally got there!
Special thanx to CM XXXX

As for the xvid encode being out of sync, the 'Internally' setting didn't work, but then I didn't really expect it to.

I feel another Thread coming on..... :)

EmmaXXX

Last edited:
I have come to the conclusion after many years of different solutions that it is cheaper and a lot faster to just buy a $100 DVD settop box and record VCR directly to DVD-RWs, then modify on the PC with DVD Author and be done with it. Time vs. Money is what did it for me...

Nah! Where's the fun in that?

When you've the know how, it's like a stroll in the park.

You stick to your settop box and I'll stick to CM's tutorials. ;)