Vcd to DVD + MENU

Hi My First Post

Started ripping dvd to vcd no problem excellent quality!

question?

maybeI am a bit ambitious here but is it possible to write say 3 or 4 films on to a dvd using the vcd format? and then when it is inserted into a standalone player it autoloads as normal and the first screen you see is an interactive menu screen where you can pick which film you wish to see? rather like a giant VCD.
or am i just dreaming?

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

atb

Scottie

Philips SVCD Tool Set ver 1.5

This is what I use to put more than one move on a CD. But it's tuff to learn and does not have support. It took me a while to learn it but if you got the time its extreamly powerfull menu developement program. You can find it here h**p://w*w.apachez.com/tools under mastering software it's free but like I said it's not supported anymore . If I can help PM me! I do have some docs for the program

E

elpresidente

hmm ... the menu will be the easier thing ...on some players u need no menu .. such players like Schaub-Lorenz SL4000 r able to find MPG files on the disc .. without menu ..

but VCD quality on DVDs ? I think the cheapest way is VCD its self...

yep... your idea isn´t bad ..but it isn´t easy ...

on my "to do list" is CCE and then SVCD to DVD-r .. maybe after that i give VCD to DVD-R a try ;)

maybe on w*w.doom9.org is a guide

greetz

Hi again

thanx for the ideas,

i will try out the suggestions and investigate further,

luckily my elcheapo standalone dvd player (dansia) seems to read anything I have. and If the disk does not auto play I can scroll through the folders and run compatible exe files. but the wife just would not understand!

I am going to take a look at ulead video editors or something like that and see where it takes me. maybe if I can get the chapters to work this might solve the problem.

many thanks again for you comments, help

scottie.

E

elpresidente

yep .. i know this sort of players :)

i think sonic scenarist also does the job ....
good idea to split them with chapters ... the only disadvantage is that there r no chapters in one movie ...

greetz

I think I was just lucky in getting that dvd player!

I had thought of using chapters if i cannot find anything better, but its early days yet, I am waiting for a mate to upload some progs on broadband for me.

thnx

scottie

E

elpresidente

which burning software do u use to burn the mpq files ?

I´am just trying to make LOTR SVCD to DVD and i´ve to work with Sonic Scenarist NT to get Vob files + ifos and then burn with Nero .. and u ?
just asking because another member asked for the burning software (vcd to DVD) :)

greetz

Hi again

At this moment in time I have not got a dvd writer as I am looking into whether £300.00 + is worth the outlay. AO3 probably

so being able to do this would be very important to make it worthwhile.

so I have not really gone down the dvd writing road yet and will cross that bridge when I get to it.

For doing dvd 2 vcd I use Smart rip/dvd2avi/TMPEG/Chapter xt/Vcd easy. using xp and 1200 athalon 512 mb 110gig hd (raid)

no real problems (Bit of slowdown now and again)but still excellent results for me.

this is probably old hat to you but you have to start somewhere,
this forum and vcd help have been invaluable.

I will see what ulead brings up when I get the software.

atb

scottie

E

elpresidente

yep...

nearly the same software I use :) except TMPEG .. I use CCE ;)

A03 is a good selection ... cheap media and good compatibility
DVD-r for 2.99USD :)

greetz

i havent tried this because i dont have a dvd player but i think the principle is sound
instead of creating VCD or SVCD in TMPGenc use the DVD template and modify it so that its near the VCD quality and encode as normal. when you a few movies use Ulead DVD movie factory and insert then into the dvd project, now if it works like VCD project you can set the first frame of the movie as a menu item(you can change the frame)when DVD is burnt and played in your DVD playa you should be able to click on one of the frame in the menu and go straight to that film. as i said , i havent tried this but if it works ?