VCD size problem

I use to convert the divx's i get from Ng into vcd's to play them on my stand alone DVD player.
I usually have no problem with them, using VirtualDub and TMPGEnc.
I have a problem with the last one I tried to convert to mpg 1 though ! When I play the divx with BSP or Powerdivx or whatever player, the default display looks like a 16:9, but it's not really a 16:9 ! It's not high enough and all is flat and too wide. When I set the display to 16:9, it's ok...
I tried to convert to mpg 1 with TMPGEnc, setting source to 4:3 625 lines PAL (yes ... I'm in France and it has been encoded in France) for a TV display, and setting to full screen (keep aspect ratio). It's how I usually do and all is OK except for this one. I still get this flat image on the TV.
Does anyone know how I must set TMPGEnc to get a higher image, that is to say, to get two smaller black strips at the top and at the bottom of the TV screen?
Thanks in advance.

This is a common problem actually with AVI's. A bit of trial and error testing is needed here.

In TMPGEnc's Settings, change the Souce Aspect Ratio to 4:3 PAL and the Video Arrange Method to Center (Custom Size). The put in the numbers 352 x ??? where ??? is the right number that gives proper looking Aspect ratio. Start at 240 and run for 1 min, if still squashed, increase or decrease by 16 (to 256 or 224) and try again. Keep trying in 16 increments until it is correct. Then encode the whole movie with those settings.