USB - Midi In/Out cable.

xSlyPandax

Righto, peoples, heres the dealio:

I have a fairly old [MUSIC] keyboard, and as such it doesnt have a USB port in it, as a lot of the newer ones do. I also do not have a proper sound card in my PC, which means i have no MIDI or game port in the back of my pc to plug the appropriate cables into.

I want to home record through my keyboard into Cakewalk Pro Audio, which basically means i have 2 (known to me) options:

1) Get a USB-Midi In/Out cable at a cost of at least 35 pounds

2) Buy a suitable sound card at a cost of i dont know how much.

Are there ANY other options AT ALL? a way to make a cable? any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I need it for my Music coursework.

Thanks again everyone,
Sly

Maplin have a USB-Midi (A03FK) at £29.99, or you could pair the £14.99 Soundcard-Midi cable with a suitable soundcard.
eg. RY74R (a CMI chipset soundcard) and VL80B (Soundcard-Midi cable).

If you can do electronics, then you can make the "cable", though i's more than just a cable, of course.
http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/sbmidi2.htm
Actually, if you only need the input side, that cuts it down considerably, though you still need a gameport-midi capable sound card.

xSlyPandax

Hmmm. I went into Maplins about a year ago and they said they didnt sell them.. and that has the interface in the middle of the cable, yes? If so, thanks! (well, thanks anyway) thats the cheapest ive seen them so far.

Sly

That was it - shown without the cables ... "Includes USB 2.0 cable and Midi in and midi out cables" - with the cables attached, I'd say it ends up about the same, USB cable, midi in and midi out.

Checkout M-Audio Uno USB midi controller. Very good basic performance, and ASIO compatibility (not ASIO2, though). I use it for some two years (on a Fatar/Studiologic SL61 keyboard), and I'm quite happy with it. The only issue is that it's exclusively bus powered, so it may not work very well when connected to some anhaemic laptop USB ports.
The computer end is USB, the other one typical midi in/out. Actualy one of your links points to that already! :D

Last edited: