unknown file in win2000

hey PPl... can anyone tell me if a file named AUTOEXEC.CAM is safe??? and what it is all about, i keep deleting it and it returns each time i reboot, seems strange that i have never seen it before on my C: drive.
i re-formatted and then installed one prog at a time and did a reboot after each prog install... it appeared when i installed PC-CILLIN 2000..i am running Windows 2000 Pro edition with AOL
be grateful for any info on this file.... many thanx in advance.

the auoexec.cam could be just a backup of autoexec.bat created by one of the programs ur using

u might want to compare the two files just to see.

AUTOEXEC

only AUTOEXEC.NT i could find..

contents are as follows:

@echo off
REM AUTOEXEC.BAT is not used to initialize the MS-DOS environment.
REM AUTOEXEC.NT is used to initialize the MS-DOS environment unless a
REM different startup file is specified in an application's PIF.

REM Install CD ROM extensions
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

REM Install network redirector (load before dosx.exe)
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

REM Install DPMI support
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

the AUTOEXEC.CAM is totally clear of any text.....

just seems kinda wierd that i have not seen this file before..... using the SP1 that came with my Windows 2000 installation CD.

i am awaiting an email from Trend Micro support...

Last edited:
Unknown file

reply from Trend Micro concerning the AUTOEXEC.CAM FILE:

"this MAY BE? the installer creating a back up of the AUTOEXEC.BAT FILE in Windows"...

have since moved up to WinXP Pro.. the AUTOEXEC.BAT FILE only appears when i use the latest version of PC-CILLIN 2000 (Version 7.61.0.1454) (older versions don't backup the AUTOEXEC for some reason unknown to me)... so i would assume that it is a safe file after all...

Only time will tell....

many thanx to all who took the time and trouble to read and reply to my post......much appreciated.....:)