Udma 133 Hd

Thera are several PCI cards (2.1 compliant) that have two IDE port Ultra ATA 133.

If you visit MAXTOR WEB page, the are where they explain their new drives ULTRA ATA 133, they provide a list of manufacturers that produce those cards.

The price in US $ varies form 30 to 60 $.

A known manufracturer is PROMISE... without preference to him..

BUT, nevertheless, please think twice before to go to that upgrade because if your motherborad work only up to UDMA 33, probably it wont take the advantage of a hard drive 133.

There several new mothewrboards that already come with those IDE ports and with the ability to build RAID arrays. Again, checks MAXTOR WEB page.

Best Regards.

Yep, if I was you I would Upgrade the Motherboard (Ok CPU and Case (power supply) also. If you succeed connecting this drive to you motherboard you will get no advantage of the 133 bus. And if I'm not mistaken, it will evn become slower than the 33 bus. Technicaly it is complicated to predict, what the result is when you connect new and old hardware.

Cheers,

El_Matador

PS: If i'm not mistaken your CPU is a 486 or standard pentium and conecting this drive would be of no advantage at all (only capacity increase, for th rest nothing)

Very unsound 33

Now recalling my trip to Maxtor com the 33 is NOT able to run much of ANYTHING.

HDs have had free 133 cards included ON SALE. I have a 66-100 MB and the new 133 HD was only for future use as 100 is my MAX. BUILT IN MB.

I thought "I" needed an upgrade!

I am only dum not stupid.

thx for all the replies m8s :), i just asked cuz i'm thinkin of buying some parts now and buy the expensive stuff later (mb, cpu, etc)

cyall later

If I am allowed to build a recommendation....

PLEASE.. DO NOT FOLLOW YOUR PLAN ...of buying a new PC per bits, shares, etc....

As time goes by... you will find that the Hard Drive that you adquired a couple of moths ago,... has decreased its price because of a sale... of a newer more powerfull has arrived... the same as for memories... and for motherbpards,,, INTEL launched into the market the P4 850GB, a couple of months later the 850MV to reduce the amount of heat produced and introduce the newer, smaller CPU with 512 cache instaead of 256 cache...

In other words... in my opinion... build a PC through a time span is like getting maried by parts ( I hope the example will make it clear) or cleaning your body through the week....

I would recommend to save the money through tne time.... and when enouigh.... buy the best (trademarks/performance) you can... buying recognized trademarks like INTEL motherboards, Soundblaster cards, ATI or NVIDIA video cards....provide you upgrades/downloads via WEB pages in order to save the value of your product ... as time goes by.... and important factor to keep alive as MICROSOFT keeps changing Windows....

BEst Regards

Attilio

P.S. Long life to this forum....

well said joripe, but on the other hand,who is having a re-flashed teac ultra fast rom fitted when they already have an Awesome plextor 40 speed sccsi rom fitted?

please examine the following url, there lies your solution...

/http://www.maxtor.com/products/FastDrive/implementation/pci_implement.htm

Most of the older Motherboards don't have PCI slots. My "really old" 486 100/DX4 had one slot PCI. I saw some Pentium motherboards also with one or none PCI. So this slution is no available for all motherboards.

Cheers,

El_Matador