trouble shutting down and rebooting

i run win2k but lately its taking an age to either shut down or reboot,first it says saving your settings that takes about 45 secs,then its says windows is shutting down 25 secs then it shuts down,its the same when havibg to reboot,i need help as its driving me nuts,all ideas gratefully accepted.:confused:

70 seconds doesn`t seem like a bad boot time really or shutdown for that matter you may need to defrag or turn some programs running in background off but all in all a little over a minute is not that bad as long as everything else seems okay what do you expect it win2k make sure you check win update for all the service packs

I had a bit of trouble like this and either a program or the machine was checking the floppy drive before allowing the shut down. Clearly something is making yours hang, might be worth a check, either in the bios or programs but perhaps you've aready done that. I wish I could remember what it was that was checking
the floppy drive but I have a good idea it was Norton AV and directly I asked it not to the problem went away.

I hope this helps.

yea

The Duron w/Norton now DID take time up/off with the Norton. SAFETY feature?

I do notice with WinMe TIME is somehow determined by programs. MAINLY not shut down like the firewall. Probably others that stay in memory somehow. Rigth now any programs are AOK. Chalk it up to more than 640K used by programmers and nothing used to CLEAR after useage. Thank goodness all the computers are not young X-generation FEMALES then!