Trouble In Paradise

I have 2 A07 XLA`s 6 months old both burn magificently, and as of today 1 went down,refusing to recognise any type of dvd and dvdr,the other 1 went down an hour later doing the same,but they both find and read and write cds,
checked for viruses but has none, so Iam saying HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.lol

In the same machine?

Any significant problem with dust or smoke?

What is strange, is TWO drives going down in succession - both at the same time, and I'd suspect that some event damaged them both.

As far as I can understand, there should not be any software difference in reading, though there would be in writing.

If they are still under warranty, than do NOT even try a cleaning CD unless advised to before returning.

I'm wondering if Nero (if thats what you use) would show anything useful in the log - if it doesnt get anywhere near starting a DVD burn.

Have you updated anything, like IDE controller or chipset drivers?

Having had a DVD-ROM go incapable of reading DVDs (but still reading CDs), I fear the worst, but how the hell can two drives go the same way in such a short space of time - even if there was a faulty batch?

I'd look at any media (blank or otherwise) that you were using at the time, and see if there is some damage or contamination.

they worked fine in the morning,I use disc juggler and can burn two at once with 2 hds of course.they were bought from seperate suppliers.and a month apart,5 and 6 months ago,returned 1 today under warranty,and the other goes back tomorrow,had to purchase a 16x at a reasonable price,
haven`t updated any new software or hard ware.tried them on other machines and found there was a vibration and a groaning noise,altho could have been me,lol to me sounds like laser but is weird that both go on the same day,

as stated above there was a log in discjuggler and it passed all reports,but it occured when u insert a dvd retail or blank,they refused to read