Total Commander 6.50 final

At last a new version of the Swiss Knife for Windows is out.

January 18, 2005: Total Commander 6.50 is now available for download. The new version contains many new functions, like the display of thumbnails in file lists, user-defined columns, an extended search function using content plugins, and many detail improvements!

The changelist from version 6.03 is really huge. TC still remains the next best thing to freeware- just a nagger at startup and no other limitations at all.

But if you put all those innumerable filemanagers together- the sum is hardly one fifth of the Total Commander abilities...
The only worthwhile TC alternatives are filemanagers which can work in 32-bit console environment, like FAR, or DOS based ones for Win9X like Volkov Commander.

http://www.rmonet.com/commander/ - A good rundown on a variety of "Commander" style file managers.

Many of them do try to bring the old "Norton Commander" almost into the Windows era, and some stick very close. Some people may value a rich selection of keyboard shortcuts, but the only ones that I tend to use, are:
1. The Delete key, instead of menu delete (I'd really miss that)
2. The "standard" shortcuts for cut/copy/paste - and in the moderm AT keyboard, that means Shift-Del to cut, Ctrl-Ins to Copy, Shift-Ins to paste - whaetever the old way was, I certainly can't be bothered remembering.

http://www.softpanorama.org/OFM/index.shtml

Read the "Ten Commandments of the OFM Religion", to decide if the "Orthodox File manager" approach is for you
Now I'll give you the excercise to go and look, by only posting my ANSWERS:

1. Only two? - I'd go for multiple splits, freeform, extra dedicated panels, but the layout must be user controlled
2. No, NEVER - I want a full DOS window to do DOS commands
3. No, I'm "keyboard second to mouse"
4. Interesting, but I'd probably looking for Right-click functions and additions
5. History in a file manager? ... other than "Back" and "recent searches"?
6. FTP? - My LOCAL file manager will not be getting firewall permissions under any circumstances
7. Viewers, always useful, must be "SAFE" viewers though!
8. Search functions, you can never have too many
9. I favour the "Explorer style" tree
10. Connectivity - useful only if it supports your target system.

From that, I'm not an OFM type person