the BEST avi player

I've been checking out avi (& mpg) players recently and have decided that BS player is the best.
It has a million options and will play just about anything, with subtitles. The quality is real good too. And freeware :)

hxxp://www.bsplay.com/

I guess most of the folks here know about this already, but this is just a heads up for those like me who didn't.

windows media player 6.4 may be the best MS windows player but has lots of audio/sync problems with DivX's, and I found the MediaPlayer Classic best than the original from microsux

haven't found something better than BS player for DivX, the ugliest player on earth (but there are skins for it)

Last edited:
You will now get 20 posts and everyone with a different "best player". The best player is the one that does what you want it to do, one everyone wants the same out of a player.

For me, I use WinDVD 4. It plays VCD, SVCD, DVD, AVI (every variety), all XVCD & XSVCD versions and all with outstanding playback quality. It does everything I want it to do, but I'm sure does not fill the need for everyone.

well said ChickenMan, a great answer from someone who knows what's saying by experience (always a pleasure to read your answers)

my biggest complaint with WinDVD is that it doesn't comes with a custom pan-scan function

Last edited:
I use media player 6 for audio, but because it always crashes with avis/mpegs, I use media player classic xp/win98 versions for video files. it's very comfortable (doubleclick to switch from fullscreen to window and back, one click to pause) and fast - 1-2 seconds to start, as opposed to the slow media player 8, which takes at least 7-10 seconds and eats all system resources

ponzan said:
windows media player 6.4 may be the best MS windows player but has lots of audio/sync problems with DivX's, and I found the MediaPlayer Classic best than the original from microsux
ponzan have you tried the latest ffdshow filter?? i used to have a lot of sync problems too but after ffdshow they were all gone

I had try it some time ago but gave me all kind of troubles and decided to unistall it.
Anyway, just try it again, again with no luck; audio sync improves but video quality degrades with WMP, no matter how much I played with the settings. And playing in BSplayer and WinAmp gets totally screwed

did u use the latest version?? i think it's dated 10/14/02
btw, why do u want to play videos in winamp?:confused:

Last edited:
I have ffdshow-20020617.exe dated 09/11/02 and yesterday downloaded ffdshow-20021014-se.exe , but couldn't figure out how to apply it. Did try running it but got an error message about some DOS error (I'm in Win2K) ?

about winamp just illustrating that ffdshow screwed many progs, I use it as an audio player really.

BSplayer for DivX, and MediaPlayerClassic for streams simple video tasks and as general first choice for all supported codecs.

I've to try WinDVD as a video player-all, as CkickenMan suggested, but I'll miss a good pan-scan option in it

Last edited:
im on win2k too and i get no errors, just installed over the last version, try gettin it again, maybe the file was corrupt
//http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ffdshow/ffdshow-20021014-se.exe?download

I like BSplayer too, what I must like is the subtitles ability, and the freedom with them, you can move them anywhere and this is handy. I combine it with TVTool 6.8 and they make a great couple for watching DiVX in my TV from my laptop. My only nightmare is that you cannot clone the screen if needed (TVtool blacks out the laptop screen, NVIEW clones only the desktop and not the video!)

lol zoom player =)

& I like Blane's sasami player too.

PS
have numerous friends who have probs with BS player. Always crashing on them (plus it is damn ugly, even with new skins)