TDK 48x16/24x48 EIDE

Ok, my Plextor 12x4x32 finally died the other day, so I went out and bought the TDK. I am under the impression it is based off of Lite-On's hardware or something to that effect.. Can anyone shed light on that?

I'm not a CDRW guru or anything, so I need some help.. I have not even opened the box yet, so I'll take it back if there's something better out there? I am interested in a burner that does SD2 & 2.51 etc clones *I guess pretty much like everyone else as well :)* and _www.cdrlabs.com gave the burner a good review... Even said it could do Serious Sam 2 clone, which I thought was pretty impressive..

I have a history of hardware dying on me, so I went w/ Best Buy, so I could get the 3yr service/replacement plan from them.. I still need to get an Ultra 133 card to run it off of.. My Plextor was a SCSI and it obviously ran on a separate card, so I feel this would be the proper way to setup an *ack* IDE burner as well..

I'm not at all impressed by the 2mb buffer, however I'm told that it has burnproof and whatnot, so it doesn't really matter.. I'd like a Liteon, but BB & CompUSA don't carry them, so I need to look elsewhere for something like that and really need the warranty..

What I'm wondering is if anyone has had any experience w/ this particular brand/model..

How does it copy games? How does it do audio? I'm not sure if it has Mt. Rainier, but I think it doesn't.. anything else I should know about it?

Would you suggest anything else or should this one should be a really good $60 (after $40 mail in rebate :D) investment..

Thanx..

It doesn't have 'SmartBurn' per se.. it has 'BUFFER Underrun PROTECTION'.. doesn't say what brand or anything.. seems to work good.. I guess I'll need to grab the Clone files I've seen posted here to do the SD2, etc..

I can still pick up a Liteon fairly cheap.. I found the 48x for $65.00, so I might grab one.. this one was a good deal too, so I snagged it..

One problem: I bought an ATA 100 card so I could run it separately, but my machine kept locking up no matter what slot I put it in, so I have it on the same IDE controller as my other Kenwood 72X cdrom.. Now the Kenwood is really slow and won't run movies at all on it..

I'm running a 33 cable.. could that be the issue? Should I try a 66 instead? I figured they're only capable of 33, but I heard something about the Kenwood being the ONLY cdrom drive capable of 66.. have you heard anything about that?

I'm not a CDRW drive guru by a long shot. But I was impressed with this drive after I bought it. Granted, I have only had it for a week now, but today I went back and got another (at Costco's for $99 - $40 rebate = $59). I think you really can't go wrong for what you are getting at this price.

To be certain, though, it really depends on what you use the drive for. In my case, 80% of the time it will be music or data. The other 20% would be copying games, even though I don't know how capable it is at beating safedisc or any other protections.

If you feel you must have a Lite-on and it is proven to be the best for copying games (assuming that that it is the drives primary use), then by all means, grab the Lite-on instead. But I would encourage you to see what the TDK can do in this department. It Has gotten great reviews. It's a sweet drive in my opinion.

Oh yeah, just remembered, the drive is advertised as firmware being upgradeable, which you probably already knwow.

Sorry, I can't help with the Kenwood speed issue..

Last edited:
Hi deah!
TDK 4800B 48x16x48 is a (lite-on>Must have a 2MB BUFFER ) which if needed may B flaSHed to a lite-on 48246S if you have de bin files.
TDK at one stage was usin Plextor/Ricoh drives also but most of their new drives are based on lite-on's.
If you need more info I can submit mmore detail later since I have dat info in mi yard and at dis moment I'm out workin hope dis is of use to you good luck..:)

Split the CD drives up (i.e. not on the same channel) . Don't run the CD that you might need to boot from as the only drive on a pci controller card. In other words, it (the CD drive) will need to have a hard drive on the card with it in order to boot to the CD. At least that is what worked for me.
-cadjak

Mazze,
How did you flash your TDK to a lite-on and where did you get it. I have the TDK 4800B, will this flash to a 52?
TIA
PeterDragon

@ JeRrYFaR

* Check the device jumper settings (master, slave combination).
* Do not run the atapi devices from an add-on ide controller, as i undestand is your case, it can cause some "weird" unexpected results in some system configurations. Use the controller for the hd.
* 40 pin cables are fine for both the cd units. Some cd units tend to 'choke' on large data transfers w/ 80 pin cables.
* Check that dma (or udma, be the case) is enabled & working in both the mb bios settings & under the OS.

As for flashing other brands to lite-on, only some certain chipsets will allow u to w/o rendering your device pretty much useless. Read along on the cd-freaks forum for some details before experimenting.

For lite-on firmwares, this is a good site.

http://liteon.notrix.net/

Hope all this helps.

Newby,

Your info about 80 conductor cables is a bit misleading.
Quote from the Plextor site regarding 80 CONDUCTOR cables and their devices:

"80- Conductor Ultra ATA cable

Our ATAPI drives work with these cables. The 80-conductor cable uses the same 40-pin connector as the standard 40-pin ribbon cable. The 80-conductor cable adds 40 ground lines between the original 40 signal lines to separate those lines from each other, preventing interference and data corruption on adjacent lines.

If a drive recognition problem occurs, try using the Plextor-provided cable instead of your Ultra ATA 80-conductor cable. It is also recommended to connect the PlexWriter as a master, connected to the end connector on the Ultra ATA 80 conductor cable, without a slave device connected. It is not recommended to connect a single drive to the middle connector on either cable, because the "stub" of leftover unconnected cable can cause signaling problems. "

For a good description of the 80 conductor cable qualities look at PC Guide.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/conf_Cable80.htm

-cadjak

Thanks for all the help!
I flashed my drive and it went to a 52x, so all is good in the world of computers.
Thanks Again Guys,
PeterDragon

This is the best forum I've ever been associated with..........