TAX TIME; turbotax any word on the Lock

http://turbotaxsupport.com/servicesupport/faq.asp?docid=135&CategoryId=119&chat

Why did Intuit wait until now to implement product activation technology in TurboTax?

With the ever-growing popularity of TurboTax products, Intuit has long recognized the need to better control its licensing and use. Previously, we were unable to do this in a way that was easy, secure, and unobtrusive for our customers. Improvements in technology finally allowed us to introduce product activation in all federal TurboTax for Windows CD-ROM products for tax year 2002.

Product activation ensures that TurboTax is used in accordance with the TurboTax Software License and Services Agreement. When you install your TurboTax CD-ROM for the first time, numeric codes are sent to Intuit in exchange for an Activation Code. This process is completely secure and anonymous; no personal data is collected or transmitted to Intuit.

After activation, you can perform the following tasks from the computer that TurboTax was activated on:

* Print your return from within the program
* File your return electronically
* Save your return as an Adobe PDF file so that you can print it from another computer.

Product activation does not prevent you from preparing tax returns for yourself and your family members or from giving the TurboTax CD-ROM to someone else. Anyone can install TurboTax on his or her computer and then follow the simple instructions to pay by credit card to purchase a product license or use a trial version of TurboTax.

Note: TurboTax 2002 products that currently require product activation will be activated free of charge starting October 16, 2003, allowing anyone to install TurboTax on any computer without needing to purchase a product license..

Any way around that anyone found yet?

Better yet, DON'T buy it, or if you have, shred it. It contains spyware (C-Dilla), which even after removing, will reinstall the next time you run TurboTax. Get TaxCut instead. No Spyware.

NoSpam

I don't recommend Intwit's sw since I was bitten with their last year's Canadian tax sw.

I installed it on some other than boot partition and subsequently tried updating it. The update downloaded right but would not install. I tried emailing both the Canadian and US offices about the problem but never got a reply from them. I eventually had to make a costly long distance phone call to get the problem resolved. The solution was that the tax sw needed to be installed on the boot partition! You can easily install it anywhere with the included installer but no update will be able to take effect if it was not installed on the boot partition... Not very brilliant! No more twit sw for me!

The latest tax sw has enraged many long time users with some of their piracy paranoia with some CD burning monitoring that is activated even if the tax sw is not running. Intwit has not been open on what it specifically does but the word is that you cannot copy the original tax CD or that a cloned CD will not be able to be activated. If you happen to have a hard disk failure the day before the deadline and you needed to change your hd, your tax program won't be able to send your forms and you will need to call Intwit to get your product reactivated and very probably wait for a long time before your call is finally answered...

Since there are good alternatives to their sw, I say choose something else and teach them a lesson.

--
Gilbert

Received this email it anyone wants to try

It's official—tax season is here!

Make filing your tax return as painless as possible. Download your free copy of TaxACT 2002 Standard Edition for Windows
http://mocda.com/1/c/103328/88486/237909/237909
and figure your refund today!

TaxACT is a full-featured tax software program you can use to prepare and print your federal 1040 for free! TaxACT...

...includes all the forms and schedules the majority of taxpayers need to complete their tax return, including schedules for itemized deductions, EIC, interest and dividend income, business income, & much more.
...allows you to enter data by answering simple step-by-step interview questions or entering data directly onto tax forms.

...automatically calculates your return as you enter information.

...audits your return and alerts you to potential problems, missing data, and tax saving opportunities.

...prints IRS-Approved tax forms on plain paper so you can file by mail.

...electronically files your return for a faster refund. TaxACT users typically receive their refund in just 8 to 16 days after filing, even faster with direct deposit! E-file with TaxACT for just $7.95.

Download http://mocda.com/1/c/103328/88486/237909/237909 your copy today and you will be on your way to getting your refund in the shortest amount of time. There is no risk to try TaxACT! Click the Download Now button to begin your FREE download.

Sincerely,

Cammie Greif
Vice President of Marketing