Talk Talk Broadband

02coled

Hello

my parents have just signed up for the Talk Talk international package which comes with free 8mb just wondered has any one used it or have it and isit any good really is my general query and also isit true of the whole UNLIMITED downloads

thanks guys
Damian

40GB limit, I thought it was, quite likely P2P throttled - scarcely a UK ISP forum where it isn't discussed, often as a stick to try and beat discounts out of your current provider with ("retentions department" :D ).

It also appears that Orange broadband (Wanadoo is going Orange), will be offered in some form of bundle with contract mobile phones.

02coled

LTR12101B said:
40GB limit, I thought it was, quite likely P2P throttled - scarcely a UK ISP forum where it isn't discussed, often as a stick to try and beat discounts out of your current provider with ("retentions department" :D ).

It also appears that Orange broadband (Wanadoo is going Orange), will be offered in some form of bundle with contract mobile phones.
What does P2P throtterling mean, that a certain limit is set on speed or what? and will that be the same with other dowloading services
thanks
Damian Cole

P2P throttlin means that the ISP will drop speeds on the ports commonly used for P2P (basically U get rubbish speeds)

BaNzI :D

02coled

banzibaby said:
P2P throttlin means that the ISP will drop speeds on the ports commonly used for P2P (basically U get rubbish speeds)

How rubish are we talking and is this the same on other downloading and uploading methods e.g. Torrent software
thanks
Damian

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-server-PageServer?ARTICLE=MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.HELP.BBHELP.BBFAQ#faqfair
We restrict P2P activity in peak hours to make sure that other general Internet use takes priority (including surfing, email, shopping, gaming and commercial downloads).

To stop selfish downloaders hogging bandwidth and slowing things down for everyone else we have a fair use policy. We won't bother you if it only happens occasionally, but if you regularly download excessive amounts using P2P we will get in touch. If you can't change your ways, we may restrict your P2P usage throughout the day. And if all else fails, as a last resort we may suspend your service and possibly close your account.
Unclear if only problem users are restricted, or if all users are peak time resticted as well.

02coled

LTR12101B said:
http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-server-PageServer?ARTICLE=MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.HELP.BBHELP.BBFAQ#faqfair

Unclear if only problem users are restricted, or if all users are peak time resticted as well.

So that would me P2P software like Limewire and Ares wiill be affected so will other downloading software etc torrents on Azereues and other software will that be affected or isit run of a different port or will they see the port is getting used often and limit it???:confused:
thanks
Damain Cole

Yee, any P2P app will need a lot of inbound connection (so folk can upload from U, even if U change the port they will still see by Ur logs that U have been usin it.

My ISP Telewest does the same with the default ports that P2P apps use so i just changed Azureus to port 50002 from the default (6881 i think) But they they dont limit how much U download or have a cap limit :)

SURFING AND HTTP/(WEBPAGE) browsing and streaming video/sound is also included as DOWNLOAD bandwith too!!!

so watching a load of streamed video on google video etc and listening to webcasts etc all count towards using the CAPPED /LIMITED internet usage :mad:

thats why i have UNLIMITED!

I didnt see the point of LIMITED/CAPPED when they told me that general surfing also counts up as the LIMIT USAGE :mad:

02coled

VIPER_1069 said:
SURFING AND HTTP/(WEBPAGE) browsing and streaming video/sound is also included as DOWNLOAD bandwith too!!!

so watching a load of streamed video on google video etc and listening to webcasts etc all count towards using the CAPPED /LIMITED internet usage :mad:

thats why i have UNLIMITED!

I didnt see the point of LIMITED/CAPPED when they told me that general surfing also counts up as the LIMIT USAGE :mad:
bugger i shudda stayed with AOL owell hope my 40gb usage doesnt run out that easily fingers crossed and all
thanks guys
Damian

Nah... AOL is the worst thing that ever happened to windows (just see the "worst 25 products ever" thread by PCGuy), noone sane enough would wish to use it...
I am a subscriber here in Greece of an AOL affiliate (HOL- AKA Hellas On Line) for DSL, but I do not have to use any proprietary software to access the net, and my connection has no capping at all...
Unless something changes radically, STAY AWAY FROM AOL- that simple.