SVCD Sound problem

Hi.
I have got my hands on a SVCD with bad sound. Sound is to laud, metallic etc. It's sounds as it has been added to a silent film from the past. Sync is OK.
Is there any ways to fix this?

TIA

LaZorMan

Demuliplex the MPG file to Video (*.m2p) and Audio (*.mp2) files with TMPGEnc or MPEG2VCR. Load the audio file into your favourite audio editor (Sound Forge, Goldwave, etc) and reduce the audio level in there until it sounds right for you. Save out as a WAV file 16bit Stereo, then convert the WAV back to MPA format using BeSweet. Multiplex the Video file and the new mpa file back to MPG, slecting SVCD option. Burn and enjoy.

If you have Sound Forge 6 then you can load the mpeg file as it is , without de multiplex with Tmpeg.
Then you can normalize or edit the sound and save it again as mpeg!

Attachments

One prob with using Sound Forge as you say above Denexo, the saved file characteristics are not the same as the original file. If the audio was at 48khz, it changes it to 44.1khz at a fixed data rate of 224bps. Even the Video part gets changed by lowering the data rate (and with it quality), its DC Precision, etc.

Its a bit like Nero that started as a Burning program but then wants to be an all-in-one program that lets you encode and convert as well. Burns well, ecodeds like crap. I wish Sound Forge would stick to Audio Editing and leave the video encoding to the real profession programs that know how to do it right.

The mpeg i used above was an mpeg which i captured from my tv card as mpeg1. I had a problem, it was extremely loud, so i just open the mpeg with SF then normalize, Removed DC offset , equalize the sound and saved it! That´s all! Then i burned with Nero as video cd normal!
Also you can resample the audio rate! You can save as mpeg1 or mpeg2 without problems! I am not saying that SF is good to edit a video (you can not work with the video) but is good for the sound!
I am not disagree with you about Nero and SF and real video apps but in this case i just touch the sound, it has nothing to do with encode and convert1

Attachments

Last edited:
I had some bad sound once on SVCD. The person who made it had not coded the sound to the standard and in fact it was 128bitrate and it sounded all metallic. I couldn't watch it.

Yes and my wife once had made a terrible dinner and i was hungered.....and as child i took my fathers car when he was sleeping...and a blonde at the bar took me a .....
I am joking :) Don´t get it seriously!

Denexo, the master of "confusion" :D , that example you used is fine for mpeg1 (VCD) as its a fixed format, fixed Audio specs fixed Video specs, but SVCD's are not. Unfortunately if you load the SVCD file intp SF and go to save it, your got no choice, it will change Audio, Video etc. I found no way of changinging any of that.

As I said at the start, treat the Audio separately and all will stay the same as before.

Maybe I didn’t understand you right……
But as you said mpeg1 (VCD) it’s a fixed format so is mpeg2 (SVCD) fixed format too.
I loaded a svcd file into SF, then edit the sound and tried to save it, so under Default Template I have the same specifications as before! Don’t forget that you can add or edit a template and save the file as it was or as you want!
Sorry for the confusion!

Attachments

Last edited:
i tried doing some audio stuff in sound forge where i was just changing the audio.

upon saving it was also trying to recode the video which i didn't want. i couldn't stop nero from reencoding the video so i threw it out.