SVCD Playback trouble

I recently converted a music video of Depeche Mode from .avi and .wav to a single .mpg in SVCD format. I replay it using PowerDVD software and it plays just fine. However, when I play it using a DVD player the sides of the movie are cut off. Why is this? Also, I wish to add letter boxes so as to give it the "widescreen" effect? How do I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Mike

Hi m8, well a lot depends on the software/process your using to convert DivX to SVCD. Can you give me a quick outline?

If using TMPGenc, make sure you select for Source Aspect Ratio as 1:1 (VGA) and Video Arrage Method set at Full Screen (keep aspect ratio) and the SVCD will come out exactly the same aspect ratio of the AVI was.

As for the side being chopped off on playback on the TV, I assume left & right sides ? Thats is normal, a TV usually chops about 7-10% of both sides off and about 5% top & bottom.

Is there a way that I can prevent this cutoff on the TV playback? Also, why do I select 1:1 (VGA) even though the resolution of the video is 320:221? Thanks.

Mike

You can get in the back of your TV and you will find both Horizontal and Vertical adjusting knobs, You can minimize it but you cant eliminate it. Best solution is to buy a flat screen Plasma or TTL screen, they show it full screen.

Why 1:1 VGA, thats because when the DivX was made its made knowing it to be viewed on a PC monitor and each pixel group is square (1:1). If you choose 4:3 PAL instead, then the final SVCD will come out Vertically squashed (or horizontally stretched) The actual dimension of the AVI really has nothing to do with this setting.
Cheers.

Actually, I'm not working with a DivX file. I downloaded some .mov music videos from w*w.depechemode.com and I intend to burn them onto a VCD. The QTReader plug-in for TMPGEnc did not work properly so what I did is extract the .mov to an .avi video file and a .wav sound file using QuickTime. This is what I am working with. Does this change any settings? Also, is it possible to make this videos "widescreen" without making the picture distorted? Thanks for the help ChickenMan.

Mike

Hmm.. not sure on the pixel size shape of a mov file so not sure there, just try both 1:1 VGA or 4:3 and see which one gives the correct looking picture with regards to aspect ratio.

I assume the mov is full screen 4:3 then? To make it into a 16:9 widescreen you have to crop about 32 pixels of both top & bottom of the picture. Unfortunately TMPGEnc cannot crop, only resize. Use the FlaskMPEG / Pana Plugin method then, it can do that fine. See the Tutorial of DVD to VCD with Subtitles.