Subtitle adjust

Hi guys :)

I've converted a subtitle file (.sub) with subresync for importing into DVD Maestro for DVD authoring.
The subs are essential for foreign language translation.
Initially, the subs are perfectly in sync but as the film progresses the subs are out of sync by 2 or 3 seconds toward the end.
Is there a program that would shorten the playing time of the subs?

The subtitle file accompanied the avi which i encoded with DVD2SVCD.

Thanx :)

If you have an avi+ subs, the best is to convert them to *.srt form (I use SubRip) and load them into DVD2SVCD, making them Selectable. If the AVI's audio is NOT AC3, then strip it out, convert to ac3 (GOLDWAVE & ffMPEG) and add it back in to the avi (VirtualDUBMod does this well). Then in DVD2SVCD, just use the inbuilt DVDAuthor to do the final authoring and with no audio converting. Its been a long time since I used Maestro :D

SubRip is also able to time stretch the subs if there is problem also.

Hello CM nice to hear from you again :)

Well firstly, while I could convert my original .sub to .son (for Maestro) using Sub Resync, I then couldn't load the .son into Echosub for editing\shortening. But I couldn't load the .sub either.
So, I downloaded another subtitle file, this time in the .srt format.
However, this is as far as I've got, as I'm not sure how to load this into DVD2SVCD.
I'm using DVD2SVCD 1.2.1 build 2 with DS2Roba 3.50. I find this version gets the aspect ratio right compared to a later one I tried.
Looking at the 'Subtitle' tab I can't see where to import my .srt sub file ??

Thanxxx
M

I still pop in from time to time :)

You need to turn Subtiles ON in the Subtitle tab, set to DVD Subtitles. You then import the *.srt when you click on the GO button and select Import Subtitles from External file. Then load it in. Then you have to click the GO button again to actually start the encode.

Thanx CM, I'd already worked it out, but as for the authoring, do I need a different version?

Anyway, I ran the encode only for it to crash twice on me.....that's not happened for a very long time ??

So, I'm encounting a new problem here :(
The error message is as follows:

"Microsoft Visual C ++ Runtime Library"
"cctsp.exe"
"This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way".

Could you throw any light on this please?
Recently I installed a new graphics card; ATI 9600pro with latest catalyst drivers. DirectX 9.0c
Also latest version of The Film Machine, which ran successfully using Cinema Craft Encoder 2.50

Thanx for your time and patients.

Mxxx

You should be running the latest DVD2SVCD, check your PM. The inbuilt DVDAuthor is all you need, free and works well. Best though is to pre-convert the audio in the avi to AC3 before loading into DVD2SVCD.

As for you CCE 2.50 error, thats a new one to me! I'd suggest you re-install it again. It IS ver 2.50 we are talking about? DVD2SVCD wont work with the latest 2.70 CCE. I'm not sure what ver of AVIsynth that TFM installs, though DVD2SVCD can handle everything from 2.50 to the latest.

If The FilmMachine is working for you, then I would aslo suggest you stay with it. A lot simpler than DVD2SVCD and well supported, but it doesnt give me enough control over all the problem AVI's I'm given to convert for a friend.

Hi again :)

Finally got there with getting those subs in sync. Downloading a different sub file and adding that to TFM did the trick!
Very appreciative of the link for the EchoSub prog, thanx again roadworker, I may need that again some time ;).

As for the error I had CM ("Microsoft Visual C ++ Runtime Library"),
it turned out to be a faulty avi. Unusual really, normally Avisynth would thro' up the error. But a quick edit with Nandub took out the bad bit and all was fine again with DVD2SVCD.

TFM does take the strain out of the whole process, but I've found it doesn't utilise the the full 4.37GB disc size as DVD2SVCD does. But, from the 3 times I've tried it, the quality still seems pretty good!

Thanxxx for your time :)

Emma