Stained Windows! Microsoft to mark illegal copies

Stained Windows! Microsoft to mark illegal copies

PIRATED software users be warned. Microsoft Corp is going to start “nagging” Windows users who do not have a legitimate copy of its operating system (OS).

Starting tomorrow, the software giant will permanently flag personal computers that are not running a genuine copy of Windows.

This move affects the six million Windows users in this country, as well as those in the United States, Britain, New Zealand and Australia.

Industry sources informed In.Tech that the software giant is giving Windows the ability to tell if a user's PC is running a genuine or pirated version of the OS, via an update patch that becomes available from tomorrow.

The patch takes effect if a PC user has opted to automatically update Windows the moment he goes online. It will also take effect should a PC user manually download the latest Windows updates.

If the OS is an unauthorised copy, a pop-up dialogue box will appear on the Windows login screen, informing the user that his copy of the OS is counterfeit and that he should get a genuine copy.

DIALOGUE BOX: The notification that will appear on the login screen. It can be temporarily suppressed by clicking "Resolve Later".
A notification stating “This copy of Windows is not genuine. You may be a victim of software counterfeiting.” is also permanently “tattooed” to the bottom righthand corner of the same screen.

PIRATE MARK: The "tattoo" that will be permanently affixed to the login screen.
Another pop-up message which states that “You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. This copy of Windows is not genuine. Click this balloon to resolve now.” will appear at random times whenever the computer is in use.

WINDOWS DESKTOP: A 'nagulator' notification will pop-up as a system tray bubble every now and then, reminding its user to 'get genuine'.
The only way to stop the messages from appearing is to replace the OS with a genuine copy, available from any of Microsoft's authorised dealers in the country.

VIPER_1069 said:
The only way to stop the messages from appearing is to replace the OS with a genuine copy, available from any of Microsoft's authorised dealers in the country.
Or maybe you could just reinstall it with out the update....:eek:

Nunyobiznes said:
Why don't they start with China? They have the largest installed base of pirated software in the world.
maybe they don't worry about their pirated licenses; and there it would cause more stir to own a legit one; :D

Greetings from
Duracell

I stand by my previous comment. F*CK MICROSUCKS. If Steve Jobs was a better salesman back in the begining, this would be a Mac world.

xSlyPandax

W00t! Macs! I got put off them because my school had a load of really poor Mac laptops ugh they were horrible.. but i used a real nice one the other day.. mmm.

Nunyobiznes said:
I stand by my previous comment. F*CK MICROSUCKS. If Steve Jobs was a better salesman back in the begining, this would be a Mac world.
Not true Microsucks won because they courted the Games companies/software companies giving incentives (maybe even bribes <> alledgedly) for stuff to be windows compatable but if Apple had pushed harder who knows???

Typical windows nonsense.
The problem can be easily bypassed by just flagging ONE configuration file as read-only! :p
Of course a better solution, as mentioned above, is switching to Linux/BSD/Solaris... the only thing you will probably miss are a few games which cannot be emulated.

Last edited:
The-poacher said:
Not true Microsucks won because they courted the Games companies/software companies giving incentives (maybe even bribes <> alledgedly) for stuff to be windows compatable but if Apple had pushed harder who knows???
Gaming has only been a major factor for pc sales within the last 7 - 10 years. Prior to gaming and in the corporate world, unix and others had been surpased by windows in the sheer number of installed copies. Only companies with specialized custom software held out. I think those are about all gone now too.

dx

Nunyobiznes said:
If Steve Jobs was a better salesman back in the beginning, this would be a Mac world.
And in that world, Jobs would be our beotch instead of Gates. :rolleyes: We'd all be complaining about how big and bloated Apple was and how they played unfairly.

There is no perfect Operating System. They each have their advantages and their disadvantages. I agree that Gates has played unfairly, but then again so has Jobs. What Gates can be proud of is making the personal computer affordable to the common man. His O.S. has make it possible for anyone to get components off the shelf and put a computer together for a decent price.

That being said... Gates will have to adapt. UNIX is the O.S. of the future... even Jobs has moved his O.S. that way. OS X is technically the most widely sold UNIX-based operating system. Darwin's underpinnings is a decent BSD environment. It's far from perfect, but quite a nice O.S. Time will tell if M$ will adapt or continue to lose market share.