Spooky! Ghostly movements

Firstly, Thanx to Chickenman for the tutorials:D
I've just ripped Independence day as per dvd-vcd tutorial.
The picture is great on my stand alone dvd player until somebody moves.
It looks like they're in water with a wake in front of them which clears when they stop moving!
I've recorded 6 other movies using the same guide, settings, media and dvd-rom and they are all great.(Played on standalone and PC).
When I play the vcds on my pc the problem is not as obvious(small screen, my tv 32", very expensive and very unforgiving).
Its the same format as all the others PAL 16:9.
Is this copy protection?
Is it just a bad rip?(I hope not as it took 25 hours to encode!).
Should I just give up and get a copy off Crash!:D

I've ripped ID4 PAL version (most Aussie R4 releases are actually duel R2 & R4 realeases) also using exact same procedure at published here and had no problems what so ever.

I struggle to see how TMPGEnc could produce such a problem really. I assume you used SmartRipper 2.41?

Can you play the VCD on someone elses DVD Player, as I suspect that is the problem or have you changed brand of CDR as well?

Weird

I used SR2.41 and the other software u recommended.
I used the same media for all the films I've ripped but only this one is weird. Havent tried it on another standalone but I will.
Whats weird is in scenes were things r still its spot on .But as soon as things start to move its like youve had too much ale and not enough sleep!
I've also tried repacketsizing with m2edit and also not. No difference.
I suppose I might have put in a wrong setting.
Would it do this if I'd say got the picture template wrong?
If I did not set to 16:9 and PAL?
Thanx bud:D

Waht your talking about is picture distortion, I cant see how that is possible with TMPGEnc. I may be squashed, stretched, jerky but not distorted. I'll wait until you play it in a different DVD Player. Let me know how it goes.

Tried it

Tried it in another standalone, logix 3300.
Same problem but not as noticeable.(only 20" tv).
I've done movies since (all 5 nightmare on elm st ) with no probs.
I think I ripped ID4 just after flashing firmware on my liteon 163DVD.
I remember when smartripper tried to acess the files the dvdrom gave me a "choose region" message.
Wether this had something to do with it I dont know.
I'm going to redo it anyhow and hope it doesnt happen again.
Next time I send something to Crash I'll put one of the discs in for her to look at.(just so you dont think I'm imagining things!).
;) :D

BTW the amendments to the tutorial helped speed things up for me, THANX.:)

Yep any probs, just send via Crash then, no probs there. Would love to see the problem actually.

There is a file you run that will turn the LiteOn 163D (I have one of those also) to a non-region unit. Let me know if you need/want it.

Well grad the Tut is working better for you. I had one movie recently that was going to take 10hr to rip, it had about 8 other Audio tracks. Let Smartripper rip English only and then took only 5hrs to rip. Been doing that all the time now with no problems at all.

I just upped to an Athlon XP1800 and it is bloody fast! Encode a 1.5hr movie in 2.5 hours !

ID4

Just done it again, took 23 hrs.
Guess what, exactly the same.:eek:
Its the extended special edition version.
Smartripper said it was 16:9 pan&scan if that helps.

I dont like being beat but I cant take another 23hrs!;)

:confused: 20 mins into first disc it seems to clear up!

Could it be Nero 5.5.8.0. or is that a common media fault?
I dont think so because non of my other vcds r like that.

Anthing could be the cause, I'm at a total loss as to the cause of the problem. as I have never seen of it nor can work out where it could occur.

Can I suggest you run the MPG file through M1 or M2-Edit to Repacketize/Transcode it before burning.

I still think its your DVD Player is the problem as I have real problems thinking the software can actually distort the movie data while encoding.

Tried it with M2edit and without it, no change.
Think I'll send a copy to Rastabt as its the same effect as weed!
I'll save a disc (I've got 6!) and send It to you via crash next time we trade.
Once I get my new system up and running (eventually) I'll try it again.
I cant understand why its only this film though!?
Cheers Chuck:D

id4 probs too !

I am also having trouble ripping the ID4 , (Special/Ed) aussie.etc
I get an effect like interlacing on moving objects , tried 4 different rippers, with varying degree of effect , but still there. you can see this in the preview , before burning or usins Tmpg..
must be some form of protection ??
Pitts

Pitts, welcome to the forum.

ID4 defenitely does NOT have any form of copy protection, none really exist for DVD's.

Suggest you look at Deinterlacing the movie, in TMPGEnc, in Settings/Advanced/Deinterlace for Method select Even-Odd Field (Field) or Double. Try it for a small part of the movie by selection a Source Range. It should improve the end result by removing any interlace zipzags but will slow the ripping down considerably.

Got your disks today, and yes, the problem is an interlacing problem. Just convert it as I mentioned above and all will be fine. I did some test runs with different deinterlacing options, and yes the Odd-Even option removed the "ghosting" you refer to.

Unfortunately some interlaced DVD's have this problem and some not, I really dont know why but is rare on normal DVD's. The cheap Asian DVD's have this as a major problem and every one I've seen, you MUST deinterlace with Odd-Even option to get a good VCD conversion.

Maybe I should make a not of this in my Tutorials.

I can convert it for you if you wish, to VCD or SVCD, just let me know.

Cheers,
ChickenMan

ChickenMan said:
Got your disks today, and yes, the problem is an interlacing problem. Just convert it as I mentioned above and all will be fine. I did some test runs with different deinterlacing options, and yes the Odd-Even option removed the "ghosting" you refer to.
ChickenMan:

I think I have an interlacing related problem but its not with a ripped DVD, its with imported miniDV video from my Sony PC110. All my videos look like hell on the PC screen but they look wonderful on the TV. Can you tell me what program did you use for testing if a file was interlaced or not, and how to make this test? I like to isolate this problem for be totally sure that this is the thing that is bothering me.
I have videos in DV.avi format and MPEG1 format. Imported via multiple programs (Ulead Videostudio 6 and other small utilities).

Thanks a lot!

thorz, AVI's are never interlaced and neither are MPEG1. Only MPEG2 (DVD & SVCD) are or can be, so the problem is something else.

To test for interlacing, if you load your file into TMPGEnc, go to Settings/Advanced/Deinterlace and then move the slider, if any movie is interlaced then you will see interlaced effects particularly when someone moves quickly. Then clicking on Even-Odd Field and it dissapears, then its interlaced.

DV avis are imported interlaced if they are not made with a progresive videocamera (my Sony PC110 cannot make progresive video). I have been doing what you say and I can note weird horizontal lines in my just imported avis in the interlaced filter settings on TMPGEnc. When I put Even field the lines dsapear, but not the panning effect that they have when been watched on a pc screen. Maybe this effect is present in all the DV imports. I have not oportunity to show them yet to a person that have worked with digital video for a better opinion. I will put some clips in a web for download, they are mpeg1 made in TMPGEng. When I have them I will post the links. Mabe you could have a check on them and give me your opinion? It will be a big help.
Thanks!

I am just looking for some free webhost that doesn't ask for personal info. The 4 example files are just 3.5 MB each but I need a free hosting for them. I don't know if its possible to link to files from an external site to a free webhost page for I just post the links and they can be downloaded directly. Can this be done? I have NEVER had a webpage...

Last edited: