sp2 xp firewall

sp2 yes or no? ( i was reading that it´s sucks )
firewall turn off or on?
can slow down my pc, internet conexion, navigation, and p2p downloads?
Regards.
V.

Last edited:
Better than nothing, and a lot better than the original XP firewall (which did little more than attempt to paper over holes that shouldn't be there in the first place).

SP2 adds an almost useful degree of configurability, but most other firewalls still leave it for dead.

If the alternative to SP2 firewall is no firewall - USE IT!

May be better to look at Kerio (free, but pro features disable after 30 days unless bought) or Sygate personal - or if you like a real toytown firwall with a tendemcy to over-alert, Zonealarm.

Or get the Microsoft/etrust offering - http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/
The firewall is apparently a rebranded and only slightly trimmed version of Zonealarm Pro.

I'm fairly happy with Outpost Firewall (I'm betatesting) but less than happy with the current progress of 2.5 beta - it's got quite a few problems for me at the moment.

Do not ask for beta leaks, as a punch in the mouth often offends
There HAS been a 2.5 leak - and from what I'm seeing, good luck to anyone crazy enough to try it!

You should ALWAYS have a firewall. As LTR12101B said, if you don't have any, well SP2 firewall should be at least the minimum. But 3th party software are generealy better over the ones integrated into windows (think about paint vs photoshop/gimp :D)

SP2 seams to limit TCP/IP connection. Can't say much about this but I've read some thread about people complaining about p2p speed...

If you have a secure SP1 installation (good firewall/AV/habits) I think you can wait a bit for the dust to come down on SP2 before deploying it...

big_gie said:
SP2 seams to limit TCP/IP connection. Can't say much about this but I've read some thread about people complaining about p2p speed...
anyone ever think that THIS MAY BE DELIBERATE by gates and co to stop people illegally downloading any microsuck or infact any other stuff lol :)

VIPER_1069 said:
anyone ever think that THIS MAY BE DELIBERATE by gates and co to stop people illegally downloading any microsuck or infact any other stuff lol :)
I think that is not the major reason for the limiting, more likely they were being genuine with the reasons they themselves gave when pressed about the limit (though they may have hoped that a few p2p users would never find the way to alter that tcp/ip file)
They knew very well that it would take only minutes for someone to find a workaround - and now p2p users can go back to their file sharing, unabated , lol

There are other thread about this. Make a search for people's opinion.

I use Outpost. Kerio v2 is small and fast but maybe a bit old.

I've hard of Look 'n Stop was really nice, but it has some hardware compatibility: if it works on a computer its good, else don't even think about it...

Have to agree with Xp firewall being junk.Turn it of,and use one of the other programs mentioned above.

I'm still using Zonealarm freeware version.Easy to configure.I have a network,and hate manually configuring everything.I'm taking the easy way out.it works okay. :)