sound problems

barryross

I joined 2 seperate avis in to one file so i could convert and put to dvd. I have always had problems using avi2vcd so I used TMPGenc's wizard. (im a simpleton what can I say!) Unfortunately the video plays fine but I have lost all the sound on the conversion. This seems to be a recurring theme in avis i have joined where as prior to that I have had no problems. Could someone enlighten me please I would be most grateful. thanks

My advice would be to forget about joining the files. Just use AVISynth instead.

Just create a script something like:
part1 = avisource("part1.avi")
part2 = avisource("part2.avi")
return part1++part2

and open that as your audio/video source instead.

What program did you use for joining? VirtualDub(Mod)? If so did it give you a warning about vbr mp3 audio? Because TMPGEnc has some issues when it comes to vbr mp3 audio. Using AVISynth however the audio is decoded on the fly and sent to TMPGEnc as PCM.

barryross

I used virtual dub. No unfortunately it gave no warning about vbr mp3 audio. I have got rid of the two original avi files and just have the joined file as a consequence. I presume it is going to be a long way around doing this but is there any other way to get the sound back and compliant for dvd authoring? thanks again

barryross

its down as a wave format as this is default output for virtual dub as afar as im aware. in the divx properties it doesnt state anything other than the duration and bitrate of 448. the sound i extracted only has wave format and thats it.

448Kb, sounds like it is a 5.1AC3 stream. Without a proper ACM codec installed, TMPGEnc should not load the AVI at all as an audio source. Which is why I assumed vbr mp3, which loads fine but then doesn't convert.

My suggestion is not to touch the audio, but keep it as is and have 5.1 audio on your DVD.

barryross

i thought this at first as well but it simply willl not accept the sound format for authoring either in tmpgenc dvd author or ulead dvd moviefactory stating that it is an illegal audio format. Any other ideas on this one or is there anything else u need to know from me to help?

barryross

its definately not vbr mp3 as i couldnt convert it with winamp im having difficulty using azid.exe as im not sure how to run the command line? Or am I going completely down the wrong line on this one? I would appreciate any help anyone can give on

barryross

I extracted it using nandub by going to direct copy stream on the audio and then simply save wav, there didnt seem to be compression on the audio after I appended the two files together. I followed the principle behind the tute by chicken man as he gave two options in avi....to vcd depending if the file was vbr mp3 or ac3 on how to convert the audio to make it compliant. As we had decided it was definately ac3 i thought azid.exe may convert it but i dont really know how to run it properly from a windows base, im not too hot on DOS im afraid. I tried the conversion using besweet's wizard but im not really sure I know what im doing. I also tried authoring the ac3 file as it is but because it is down as a .wav it didnt get accepted by any authoring programs. Im totally lost, am I aswell trying to get the two files back again?

Last edited:
Well you don't have an AC3, you have an AC3 with a wav header. Like I say better to leave it as is and have 5.1 sound rather than converting.

Try using BeSpliced.

barryross

Its managed to do it using BeSplit to remove the WAV heading and it was authored fine after that. thankyou for your patience with me!