sound on me

jane barton

can u please help
i have no sound on system
if i upgrade from ME to Windows 2000 will this give me sound back to play windows media play and down load music

That depends on the fact if windows 2000 recognises your soundchip automaticly..if not,you will still have the same problem as with your ME installation....
On the other hand,if you install a fresh XP,your chances to get a working driver for your chip,are much greater than with any other windows operating system...:)

Win2000 is not much better than ME when coming to hardware recognition- it is just light years better as an OS... and still the best OS Microsoft has ever issued. XP is not bad either (in fact it is a damn GOOD OS), but you have to do a lot of tweaking to get rid of its unneeded stuff- while on 2000 you get-what-you-want almost right after finishing installation.

ging

is it on-board sound or a seperate card? try and find out who makes the card/ audio chip by looking inside the pc.

write down all the numbers and letters you can find on them and have a look at www.driverguide.com (user: drivers, pass:all).

windows 2000 is a better O/S overall but dont forget that most hardware requires different drivers for win2000. make sure you have all these before you upgrade.

good luck

ging :)

I had somewhat of the same prob. turned out that I needed amplified speakers. I borrowed a set from a friend to find out this. So if you don't have a set of amplified speakers allready, try to locate a set from a friend first before you spend $$ trying the "replace it method" even for the OS, as RoadWorker said win2000 may not find or reconize your sound device either.
post your stats here ie: sound card or chip set if you have integrated sound, maybe someone has a driver for you. I know that drivers are sometimes hard to find especially if this is a old box, because manufactures change hands or fold up, therefor haveing no support.
anyway good luck
crater