-------------------------------------------------------
LG4040B 4 x speed DVD writer

Slashed to $275 or with 25 DVD Blanks for $299

Sony DVD writer dru510

4 x speed DVD+-RW Retail Pack Available in Black Add $15.00

Crashed $299 or with 25 DVD Blanks for $340

Pioneer DVD writer PIONEER AO6 OEM (106dr)

4 x speed DVD+-RW Retail Pack

Crashed $265 or with 25 DVD Blanks for $305

Hey... be patient and you will get some excellent answers from the crew. :cool:
But please don't double post... it's a Forum rule. You also posted this in the Hardware & Firmware section and has been removed. Thanks... dx

stedyedy said:
im looking at these 3 prices are in AU$
which do you reckon i should get ?

LG4040B 4 x speed DVD writer

Slashed to $275 or with 25 DVD Blanks for $299

Sony DVD writer dru510

4 x speed DVD+-RW Retail Pack Available in Black Add $15.00

Crashed $299 or with 25 DVD Blanks for $340

Pioneer DVD writer PIONEER AO6 OEM (106dr)

4 x speed DVD+-RW Retail Pack

Crashed $265 or with 25 DVD Blanks for $305
Wow Why are prices so much different from the US? I mean you can get a Optorite 8X DVD±RW Drive for $179.00 and DVR-106 for as little as $137.18 .:confused:

My personal favorite is the Sony because of the fact that the pioneer burns at a considerably slower rate due to the fact that it checks the data being written as it burns where as the Sony doesnt, and as far as the LG goes, they havent been in the scene as long as Sony, so hopefully this will give you a little to go on. BTW - one other thing, you will have a heck of a time finding any 8X media to burn on.

Last edited:
@slippery Sony's a good drive.. but the Pioneer is far less fussy at the media bein used...Your goin to get mixed views on this but the choice is yours. :)

stedyedy

RASTABT said:
@slippery Sony's a good drive.. but the Pioneer is far less fussy at the media bein used...Your goin to get mixed views on this but the choice is yours. :)
i thought i deleted the other post cuz i wasnt getting any replies and im going to get one of these soon... but anyway what do you mean far less fusssy?

stedyedy

frankly im getting confused so does the song dvd writer write movies faster than all of them ?but since the pioneer has has check the data does that somehow make it safer to burn dvds without them stuffing up ?

Both the pioneer & the Sony are good drives I have a pioneer 105 & a Sony 500 <> they are both OK

If this is your first DVD drive I would say U are probably better off with the pioneer 106 because it is less picky with media (ie more Media seems to burn @ 4x than in the others)
That said my sony burns most media @ 4x but I usually by good media.

stedyedy

The-poacher said:
Both the pioneer & the Sony are good drives I have a pioneer 105 & a Sony 500 <> they are both OK

If this is your first DVD drive I would say U are probably better off with the pioneer 106 because it is less picky with media (ie more Media seems to burn @ 4x than in the others)
That said my sony burns most media @ 4x but I usually by good media.

what about the LG GSA 4040b thats roughly around the asme price how is that with the media ? any comments on the LG? so waht the main advantage the sony has over the pioneer

dx

stedyedy said:
i thought i deleted the other post cuz i wasnt getting any replies...
Don't worry about the double post too much... just a friendly warning. ;)

I best place I know to compare is here... http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdwriters
Loads of opinions there, which helped me decide on mine.

BTW, the LG GSA 4040b looks compelling as it does DVD-RAM, whereas the Sony's and Pioneer's do not. If you require this compatibility it looks like your only choice.

Look around here (do a search), search on Google, and dvdrhelp.com... this way you will make the decision that is right for your needs. :cool:

guch

I am using a pioneer dvr-106, It was cheap as hell (OEM) and isnt fussy with media as it writes both dvd-r and dvd+r the cheapest I found are Bulkpaq orange disks. I recommend this writer but the software can be temperamental with it in particular nero. Ive heard that sony writers only function properly with more expensive disks, I dont know whether this is true or not but try the pioneer.

urjoking

Don't buy an LG 4040b

stedyedy said:
what about the LG GSA 4040b thats roughly around the asme price how is that with the media ? any comments on the LG? so waht the main advantage the sony has over the pioneer
I bought an LG 4040b and it's given me lots of grief. It's very fussy about the media you use, even stuff that works well on other drives. I never use the dvdram because I dont have a stand alone dvd player that can play them, not many do. It's unreliable.
The most recent problem has been that it's burning at 2x when Nero/dvdshrink/MovieFactory says it's burning at 4x.
I wish I'd bought the pioneer ao6 or the nec. I still might.
The most pleasure I'm likely to get from the lg is beating the crap out of it with a sledge hammer.

Dont waste your time thinking as far as i'm concerned i would not buy anything bar a Pioneer!!!
i have a Pioneer and a Sony and i wont buy a Sony again!!
Latest prices i got a a Swap meet in Melb. Aust. is
$188.00 for a 106(A06)Oem and the 107(A07)OEM was $288, snap up a A06 while you can caus they are selling like hot cakes

I been working with a Pioneer A05 with excellent results, as for media I´ve flashed the drive and it burns at 4x with lots of disc that it´s suposed not to.

Last week changed it for a A06 and untill now same results, Pioneer is the DVD burner for me, too bad that Plextor is so expensive I really love those drives.

weboneando said:
I been working with a Pioneer A05 with excellent results, as for media I´ve flashed the drive and it burns at 4x with lots of disc that it´s suposed not to.

Last week changed it for a A06 and untill now same results, Pioneer is the DVD burner for me, too bad that Plextor is so expensive I really love those drives.
yeah Pioneer is da go, any way i picked up a 107(A07)OEM for $269.00 AU, not a bad price considering its new
http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=49&products_id=5240