Sony DRU 500A 1.0f firmware

Hi everyone!

On lots of places I have read that the firmware upgrade to 1.0d causes big problems.

Now that 1.0f (I know f!) is out I wonder if there is anyone who has tried this upgrade and if it solves any problems introduced in 1.0d.

Hope to hear from someone. Until then I hold of flashing to anything.

Thanks in advance....

Raymond

E

elpresidente

lol.... If I´m the owner of this drive I wouldn´t
flash .. lol ...

Raymond,I'm new to dvd-burning,and @ my favorite store,there's not much choice between lots of dvd-r brands to test the drive's media compability after every new firmware upgrade......so I can't help on the dvd part....

BUT,
I have some protected audiocd's for testing purposes,and it's my [subjective] opinion that Sony is playing dirty tricks on us...:mad:

Reason:
With firmware 1.0c installed,the drive was able to rip CactusDataShield 200 and Key2Audio...
This was posted by me @ several cdrsites.....
Firmware 1.0d was very quickly released after that.....Key2Audio ripping abilities were gone and CDS 200 ripping was crippled......
People were complaining about the drive after the upgrade to 1.0d ,so Sony posted a message about an upcoming firmware version 1.0e,release planned @ +/- 9 december = 3 weeks after the 1.0d release.....
That new version was supposed to integrate 4X dvd-r burning speed.........BUT,it also enabled CDS200 ripping again!!
Hardly 1 day later,they released 1.0f,they didn't need 3 weeks anymore to develop that new version :confused:.......now comes the bad part:
when putting a protected audiocd in the drive(firmware 1.0f installed),the drive TOTALLY locks up, ctrl-alt-del doesn't work(XP),reset doesn't work,and a cold reboot doesn't work!When booting after 1 of these actions,my bios makes the same sound as when a memory stick is broken,I can't even acces my harddrives,my system freezes before I get the chance to get into the bios...
:(

Only thing that works to get my system running again,is DISCONNECTING and reconnecting the power cord!!!!! :mad:

I'm aware that a lot of companies visit the well known cdrsites.......so,is this coincidence,or are we used as guinea pigs?????:confused: :confused:

Dam so many problems just to burn:( Think I'll go for the A05 now anyway most know Sony are in bed with MicroGates....:D :D

Roadworker:

Does the 1.0e support 4x burning?
If so, do you have it available, because I don't want to use 1.0f!

Thnx,
Raymond

Normally it should enable 4x burning,Sony announced that a few weeks ago.....
I can't test it,here is no 4X dvd-r available yet .....

1.0e isn't available anymore @ any official link,so I attach it here for ya.....

Attachments

coyote74 said:
Has anyone some previous firmware version (1.0d, 1.0c)? Where can I find it?

I think that you can't find 1.0c......it's the firmware that the drive was shipped with on it's release.....:)

Here you have the 1.0d firmware

And merry Christmas to you....:)

Attachments

Is it possible to flash my firmware with an earlyier version? so right now Im running the 1.0f firmware is it possible to out the 1.0e again on it or do I have to remove the "new" firmware first?

stonedsnaker said:
Is it possible to flash my firmware with an earlyier version? so right now Im running the 1.0f firmware is it possible to out the 1.0e again on it or do I have to remove the "new" firmware first?

You can reflash with your older firmware,it works in windows enviroment......I don't know if there is a dos flasher available,like MTKFLASH + bin files for LiteOn models, that can remove older firmwares and flash your drive...

A few tips when (re)flashing in windows :

Turn DMA off,empty your drive,close every prog in your systray,disable virusscanner and other monitoring software like firewall,trojan cleaners and similar stuff....

This can save you a lot of trouble...lots of bad flashes are caused by ignoring these things....:)

what should i expect to pay for the sony dru500A dvd writer & pioneer A05. if i buy any of the dvd writers above would i still need a lite-on 48X burner.

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm having a trouble trying to burn the CD+RW that come with the Sony 500 An error appears when I try to record something...
With CD-R is working fine.
I have the latest firmware 1.0f, and tryed with 3 different burning programs (DiskJuggler, Nero and RecordNowMax).

OK, it's working now... I had to change it to my primary IDE controler.

Last edited:
chickenhq said:
what should i expect to pay for the sony dru500A dvd writer & pioneer A05. if i buy any of the dvd writers above would i still need a lite-on 48X burner.
Hi bud.You should keep the Liteon if you want to backup video games.The built in cdr writer with the Pioneer is not very good for copy protections.I think the same would be true for the Sony.

The Sony is very difficult to find right now,while the A05 is easy to get.I saved 200$ Canadian by getting the A05 instead of the Sony(rebate).Check around,there are good deals on the A05.;)

I was going to get the external Sony DRX-500UL,but after reading things here, maybe I should go for the Pioneer and put it in a drive enclosure..Any thoughts?