Sony CD-RW CRX300E or 300A???

Pearhead

Ok,
Here we, go. I'm running an "HP" Pavillion 7850, 933mhz Pent. 3, with 384mb of ram. I've been through several cd-burners. All of them never wrote at speeds higher than 16x. I just bought this Sony CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive. It installed fine. It's drivers are showing no signs of confliction. Here's the prob. When burning it shows no problems and just about always finishes (in Nero 6.0), saying burning complete at 48x....yada yada. But when playing back the audio discs, there's always something wrong towards the end of the discs. I'm buning on Sony 700mb cd-r's and i've never had a prob. w/ them. When I start a burn, it sounds like everythings ok. You hear the drive start burning (it burns in flashes), but more often then not it sounds like it's hanging up or something around the end of the disc. I've never had a burner that runs like this...(burning in flashes) rather than kicking in and the light staying on till it's done. the light just flashes away... I'll also add that I have a Pioneer DVD-R/RW installed and have no brobs w/ it. I hope someone can help...thanks

Pearhead

buffer underuns at AudioCDs transmute a dics in a coaster; Is your burner running in DMA mode? check it out:
woody said:
To enable DMA mode using the Device Manager

1. Open Device Manager.

2. Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.

3. Right-click the icon for the channel to which the device is connected, select Properties, and then click the Advanced Settings tab.

4. In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if Available if the current setting is "PIO Only."
If the drop-down box already shows "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must toggle the settings. That is:

• Change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click OK.

• Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to DMA if Available

What are you trying to do, burning an audio image or waves, or encoded media files, or "on the fly" copying?

and btw i always (better to say my Yamaha F1 48x) burn my audio images in 4x speed to old trustable 24x media; quality needs time; :)

Greetings from
Duracell

Pearhead

hey,

I checked the DMA mode,and it was on "DMA if available". So i changed it to PIO and then back. Havent tested yet, so i'll post back later... By the way, I've had no problems w/ burning data discs of any kind. I've only had the probs when burning wav(dao) files.
Duracell said:
buffer underuns at AudioCDs transmute a dics in a coaster; Is your burner running in DMA mode? check it out:

What are you trying to do, burning an audio image or waves, or encoded media files, or "on the fly" copying?

and btw i always (better to say my Yamaha F1 48x) burn my audio images in 4x speed to old trustable 24x media; quality needs time; :)

Greetings from
Duracell

Pearhead said:
I've had no problems w/ burning data discs of any kind. I've only had the probs when burning wav(dao) files.
when the buffer underrun protection (burn proof / just link) is in use, this doesn't matter for data CDs, but for audio it's the death;