Sony 500A has decided it isn't a dual format...

For the first time, I decided to use some DVD+R's I bought at Aldi, after using DVD-R by Ritek. Only the upgraded Sony 500 (formerly Sony DRU10A) just refuses to recognize the disks. It only (according to Nero) is capable of -R's. Anyone have this bother ? :mad:

Last edited:
I don't use Nero, so I can't help... but I'm willing to swap media with you, I have to offer at least 40 Princo 4X DVD-R media which simply burn with errors on my DRU-500a... yours can't be worse, and anyway I never had any problem burning +R with the drive- but I'm not using Nero.

scarecrow said:
I don't use Nero, so I can't help... but I'm willing to swap media with you, I have to offer at least 40 Princo 4X DVD-R media which simply burn with errors on my DRU-500a... yours can't be worse, and anyway I never had any problem burning +R with the drive- but I'm not using Nero.
That must be equally irritating for you. But the problem being, as for swopping, it was only FIVE I bought ! :D

Well, upgrade your firmware to 2.0g (if you have not done already so) and stick to media you know as working. If Nero insists then it's time to use another piece of software...

The-poacher said:
Burned DVDR+ in mine (same upgrade as U) no problem!!
Didnt give the whole story - burned 1 +R and then, while it was finishing burning, I uninstalled MS Autoroute 2004 because the bastard thing wasn't opening at all. There was a flicker as it was uninstalling, the burn finished, I checked that AR2004 was off, and then went to check the recording. - And it wouldnt play back. I went to do the next recording, and Nero told me its not capable as its only doing -R and -RW. So - something in that uninstall is responsible. Also removed my anti-virus (more bloody trouble than they're worth) and I'll try again when i get my hands on some (the 5 +R's I had were my mates to record for him, not me ! He's taken them to his girlfriend's daughter who hass just got a new comp with a Pioneer and she's doing them)