some other tux distro :)

some other distro zat i've heard but not yet toyed with

ubuntu: http://www.ubuntulinux.org/
Ubuntu is a complete desktop Linux operating system, freely available with both community and professional support. The Ubuntu community is built on the ideas enshrined in the Ubuntu Manifesto: that software should be available free of charge, that software tools should be usable by people in their local language and despite any disabilities, and that people should have the freedom to customize and alter their software in whatever way they see fit.

These freedoms make Ubuntu fundamentally different from traditional proprietary software: not only are the tools you need available free of charge, you have the right to modify your software until it works the way you want it to.

The team behind Ubuntu makes the following public commitment to its users:

• Ubuntu will always be free of charge, and there is no extra fee for the "enterprise edition", we make our very best work available to everyone on the same Free terms.
  • Ubuntu includes the very best in translations and accessibility infrastructure that the Free Software community has to offer, to make Ubuntu usable by as many people as possible.
  • Ubuntu is released regularly and predictably; a new release is made every six months. You can use the current stable release or the current development release. Each release is supported for at least 18 months.
  • Ubuntu is entirely committed to the principles of open source software development; we encourage people to use open source software, improve it and pass it on.
Ubuntu is suitable for both desktop and server use. The current Ubuntu release supports Intel x86 (IBM-compatible PC), AMD64 (Hammer) and PowerPC (Apple iBook and Powerbook, G4 and G5) architectures.

Ubuntu includes more than 1,000 pieces of software, starting with the Linux kernel version 2.6 and Gnome 2.8, and covering every standard desktop application from word processing and spreadsheet applications to internet access applications, web server software, email software, programming languages and tools and of course several games.

yoper http://www.yoper.com

What is Yoper?
Yoper is a high performance operating system which has been carefully optimized for PC's with either i686 or higher processor types. The binaries that come with Yoper have been built from scratch using the original sources combined with the some of the best features from other Open Source Linux distributions (distros). However, Yoper is not like general purpose distros such as Red Hat or Mandrake. It is a high performance Desktop OS. It is compact. It resides on 1 cd-rom. In fact, Yoper is also one of the most standards-based environments in the Linux community! You will find hardware performance as good or better than that of any commercial OS.

I didn't like Ubuntu.
Yoper is quite nice, but with a limited package base.
So far the best distro I have used is Arch Linux which is i686 optimized, has a large and very up-to-date package base, a superb package manager named pacman, simplicity and stability at the extreme. Next best thing to Gentoo, but here you don't have to wait for hours and wathcing gcc compiling source...
On the other hand you DO need to know about Linux to get thru that one, as all settings are done the good old manual way (there isn't even an acceptable webmin adaptation available for that one).