Simple question...

How can I see, when I get a MPG file, if it's a MPG 1 orMPG 2 file, and if I'm going to burn it as a VCD or a SVCD ?
Is there a small utility which could give this info when loading the file ?
Thanks in advance.

well more than likely you would know when downloading or making these files yourself, but if not, one of the easiest tools is virtual dub. Just open the file & then click on File>File Information
if mpeg-1 the bitrate will be about 1150kbps. If mpeg-2 the bitrate will be about 2520kbps, & if DivX file it will say the encoded is DivX version #.
However just 'cause you would download these files off the net in those formats, doesn't mean they meet the VCD/SVCD standards of mpeg1 & mpeg2 (which is the case most times).
This is why I would most likely only download from a source where you know exactly what you're getting (or make them yourself).
This is one method & this is getting lengthy so will leave some other methods/softwares (like Bitrate Viewer) that can be used for the others.

Thanks Phantom. It's the kind of reply I needed :)
When I do them myself, I've not this problem, of course. But when I get some video clips as mpg files from video music NG's, I am not sure about the MPG type... I think the bitrate value is the best tip. And I did not try to load a mpg file in VirtualDub/NanDub !
Thanks again.

sorry, I forgot to add that the bitrate doesn't tell all.
Other factors like the audio layer & fps & such are also important.
But once you think you have one type, easiest way to check if they are compliant to that standard, is dump it into Nero & if it doesn't come up with an error, than you are good to go. If pops up saying something else, then you have the other type (VCD/SVCD vise versa) or the file doesn't meet the standards to those file types.
Good luck rag-man =) (old jazz term *but am sure you knew already)