Sharing drives

Nizmo

I have networked my 2 comptuers using ethernet from Main computer to the other and now im having trouble sharing the C: I clicked on share this folder on network and it doesnt show up on the other comptuer. Is there anything i have to do before this works?

HAVE you checked your firewall settings both machines !?

have you set limited accounts on either or restrictions !?

are you using simple filesharing ?

from microsoft how to enable /disable simple filesharing ...

Turning on and turning off Simple File Sharing
Simple File Sharing is always turned on in Windows XP Home Edition-based computers. By default, the Simple File Sharing UI is turned on in Windows XP Professional-based computers that are joined to a workgroup. Windows XP Professional-based computers that are joined to a domain use only the classic file sharing and security interface. When you use the Simple File Sharing UI (that is located in the folder's properties), both share and file permissions are configured.

If you turn off Simple File Sharing, you have more control over the permissions to individual users. However, you must have advanced knowledge of NTFS and share permissions to help keep your folders and files more secure. If you turn off Simple File Sharing, the Shared Documents feature is not turned off.

To turn Simple File Sharing on or off in Windows XP Professional, follow these steps:
1. Double-click My Computer on the desktop.
2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
3. Click the View tab, and then select the Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended) check box to turn on Simple File Sharing. (Clear this check box to turn off this feature.
:)

Nizmo

ive tried with firewall off and still didnt work. Ive only got 1 user account for both computers and there both administrators. Do i need another account on them? Im pretty sure simple file sharing is on. But im using windows xp home so cant do that folder option thing. Ive also tried Map Network Drive but didnt get to far with that.

ill explain the setup im using. Im not really sure if its a lan or not.

The main comptuer is the one with the internet and then a ethernet cable is connected to the back but i had to use a ethernet to usb converter to plug it into the other comptuer. They both have xp home.

Last edited:
If you have a computer to computer connection you should be using a crossover cable, not a regular cable. XP home is not suitable for human use. Best option would be to upgrade to pro.

Nizmo said:
but i had to use a ethernet to usb converter to plug it into the other comptuer. They both have xp home.

THIS COULD BE THE ISSUE ... as Nunyobiznes stated you need dedicated crossover cable to do any reall good or a dedicated USB network cable :)

if one machine does not have an ethernet port then buy one on a card they are cheap enough :)

and note even then you will need crossover cable to allow file sharing in both directions :)

also as above XP home is not the most friendly when it comes to networking :(

Excuse me, but Windoze does NOT allow sharing drives/partitions. That's not a vice- it's a very reasonable security measure.
Try sharing a folder within your C: drive instead- not the whole drive.

scarecrow said:
Excuse me, but Windoze does NOT allow sharing drives/partitions.

Since when? I have several hard drives setup as network shared drives. Once you get past the childrens warning you just enable simple file sharing.

It is perfectly safe to share a drive or partition if you're secured properly on your network. Hardware firewall with SPI and NAT as well as a software security suite prevents any breeches from transmitting any data out without authorization. Using a Limited account instead of an Administrator account for daily use is also a good way to limit the effects of an attack. Is it impossible to hack in? Of course not. However, a little dilligence on the part of the user can keep you secured. Besides, most breeches of security are the result of people being fooled by social engineering strategies. Shooting yourself in the foot is not the fault of your network.

Nizmo

The cable from the main comptuer is a CAT 5 cable then it connects into a SMC ez connect usb/ethernet cable then the usb runs into the back of this computer. I can listen to the songs from the main computer itunes from file sharing but nothing else shares

A 10mb nic is like $10 if you look for it. You can make your own crossover cable. Just do a google search and you can find a diagram telling you which pair to reverse. That is by far the easiest way to network your 2 machines. Another alternative is to buy a router and hook both machines to it. This configuration would be ideal and provide you with security that you wouldn't get from a pc-pc connection since your outside connection to the internet would run through the router.

Nunyobiznes said:
A 10mb nic is like $10 if you look for it. You can make your own crossover cable. Just do a google search and you can find a diagram telling you which pair to reverse. That is by far the easiest way to network your 2 machines. Another alternative is to buy a router and hook both machines to it. This configuration would be ideal and provide you with security that you wouldn't get from a pc-pc connection since your outside connection to the internet would run through the router.
a router is a GOOD investment ... i would say its ONE investment i wished i had made a lot sooner its far easier to get more than one machine networked and on the net at the same time .. with the added bonus features such as

a) never have to make the connection to the internet as the router does it automatically with its built in software :)

b) hardware firewall is much better and more reliable than a software only firewall :)

(altho i still use zone alarm to watch for outgoing connections to the outside world ) :)

c) takes only minutes to set up and get connected with several machines :)