Samsung 52x/24x/52x CD/RW

mcubed

Hi, my writer is giving me endless problems in that when I insert a CD it seems to read for a while then generates somesort of I/O error. Have tried to update the drivers through device manager about 2 days ago, and all was fine. Yesterday though again it generated the I/O error. Again I tried updating the drivers buit to no avail. I'm using Windows 2000 SP4.

Later
:confused:

hi & welcome ;)
do u have any packet writing proggie like incd or directcd & is there the presence of the ez cd cremator?
is ur drive new or old?
updating the drivers is not that necessary imo coz the driver provided by win2k should be ok,is there any irq conflict or stuff like that ?
have u flashed ur drive?

serjer is right about the drivers; So please tell us, what the heck did you install? :)

and recheck the drive's IDE cable, it souldn't interference electromagnetically with other cables; also for ATAPI devices use 40-wired cables only;

The CDs you tried are clean, unscratched and not copy protected?

Greetings from
Duracell

mcubed

when updating the drivers I just used the deafult Windows 2000 drivers, am using 40 pin IDE cables, and I doubt there's any EM interference as wouldn't this affect the cdrom drive as well which is running as the Secondary Master on the same cable?

Some burners don't like at all being set as slave devices, especially if the master device fails, for some reason, to go to UDMA mode and is capped down to PIO4. Can you set it "somewhere" as master device? (eg change jumpers on both devices at your current configuration).

mcubed

was running same hardware configuration under XP without problems. Also the writer was working for quite a while under 2000 problem free, until recently. What happened was when I inserted the blank cd Nero just didn't detect the writer but when the drive was empty it showed in Nero. After that I tried to read both audio & data cds from the writer with no luck. Then via device manager I updated the writers driver with the default 2000 one, then I managed to burn a CD, but buffer underrun errors was the result after a successful burn, had no luck since.