sacd and cdr

bernieo

i used search before posting so no flaming please, i want to burn sacd onto either cdr or dvdr ,can it be done . i downloaded a couple of test sacds from kazaa and it definatly used the surround speakers (not just stereo) on a cdr
the big question i was wondering is there some software that will re-encode
mp3 or wave into sacd because hardly any music out there on sacd format
its silly this day and ages with technology still using stereo for most music
any help appreciated

Hardrock cafe

SACDs are actually special dvds that can contain up to two layers of data:
an sacd layer and optionally, a cd layer.

You can copy the cd (stereo) layer if it exists, and burn it to cdr.
You cannot copy the sacd layer as it is encrypted, and no computer drive maker has been licensed to make one that can read the sacd layer digital data. Only an outboard sacd player can read the data.

What you downloaded from Kazaa was probably multichannel DTS wav files that can be burned onto cd-r. The music from each channel was probably captured from an SACD or DVD-Audio recording, by analog means. The captured audio is stored into 6 individual wav files, and then all of them assembled into a multichannel WAV file and compressed using a DTS encoder like Surcode. The resultant audio is 44.1kHz 16-bit compressed audio, and digitally inferior to the original SACD audio.

If you think it's silly that people still use stereo for music, wait til you hear how silly badly engineered multichannel music can sound. Not everyone enjoys multichannel audio, and some of the best stereo equipment can be very very good. To each his own.

Last edited: