Ripper 2 Mod Chip any good?

I am thinking about buying a prechipped PS2, the chip in the system is a Ripper 2, never heard anyone mention this chip before, is it any good?

This is the info from the guy who is seklling the PS2:
The console has been professionally chipped with the Ripper 2 - NO SWAP - Modchip. The Ripper 2 modchip fitted to this console will play both Playstation One and Playstation 2 games from any region and on any media, including copies. With this console ALL PlayStation 2 copies or import games on CD or DVD will load directly. NO SWAPPING or Action Replay required.

ps2king

Personally I've never heard of it so I ran a search on it on Google. The only sites that appeared to have had it were foreign site in which I couldn't understand the language.

ps2king

I read some info on the Ripper 2 deluxe chip and it can do everything that the DMS can do and more. So a guy I know on another forums site ordered some and put it on his ps2. He was not too impressed. It doesn't come with the autodetect feature, (you have to click reset a certain number of times), he couldn't get the fast mode and some of the other modes to work either. hmm.... that's not too good. It has less wires than all the chips but it doesn't offer what it's suppose to. Another guy has ordered at a batch I'll update when I get replies from him.

Hi Psx_Paul and PS2king.

Thank you both for replying, not sure what to do now, think i will go with a system that i have found with a Messiah 2 chip installed.

Cheers.

ps2king

I don't want to discourage you or anything but that's just what another guy at another forums site found. He's highly experienced when it comes to mods an everything and so that's what he found with the chip. So the info could still vary if you know what I mean. There will be more comments and feedback on it. But if you still feel like going for the MEssiah 2 Pro premod, then go for it. That's what I would do.

bellbottom

Messiah2 Question

Does any one know if a mod chip (messiah 2) were to be installed will it continue to play newer backups of game after the rom on the mod chip has been programmmed by the manufacturer. I was recently reviewing 2 mod chips messiah versus DMS2 which touts a upgradable flash rom on their mod chip . Does it make a difference :confused:

ps2king

I'm not sure I understand your question but I'll take a stab at it anyway.
Messiah 2 can play new backups that have just been released. I think that's what you were asking.

bellbottom

nutshell

:p yes that is what i am asking in a nut shell. For example I just bought prince of persia sands of time if I have the mssiah 2 install in my ps2 can I play a backup of a newly released Ps2 game like sands of time??. Also in ypur opinion which is the better mod chip on the market?

ps2king

Yes you'll be able to play sands of time backup. I'm looking to buy that game too, and I'll be able to play it on my M2 chipped ps2 after I make the backup. The competition is pretty tight for the modchips. Messiah is up there with the DMS.

ps2king

Newsflash. Ripper2 is a good modchip. The guy at the other forums was actually testing a clone. The seller ripped him off. So he got a REAL ripper2 gold and tested it out on his ps2. Everything worked, and it worked like the DMS. (only bad thing that it didn't have autodetect). Other than that everything went smoothly. Though he still doesn't really want to recomend the ripper2 because of the service that the ripper2 team gave. They didn't really care about their mods. But other than that it worked fine. So if you still want to buy ur modded ps2 then go for it but make sure it's not a clone or else you will have your regrets.

I`ve installed ripper 2 chip in my ps2 works a treat hold select when booting dvd-r games come on iin about 4 seconds they are flash updatable have dev.olution mode i think i read somewhere that the ripper team ripped the dms3 to produce this chip but it has less wire`s i`d definetly recomend this chip to anyone chipped my v9 first time in about 45-60 minutes only £25 aswell bargain

ps2king

Yes they ripped their code from the DMS team. Also this is a important note to whomever that may install in future. The ripper chips only work on PAL stations.

RDCras

ps2king said:
Yes they ripped their code from the DMS team. Also this is a important note to whomever that may install in future. The ripper chips only work on PAL stations.
The Ripper2 has 17 wires, the DMS3 24. The Ripper2 is one chip for all versions PS2, the DMS3 has a seperate chip for version9.

Now, does that sound like an exact replica/copy/clone to you?

Fitted quite a few of the Ripper 2 chips having previously fitted the Messiah chip for the past 12 months. It's very easy to install and does much more than the Messiah. It's also far less fussy than the DMS 3 when booting cheaper media.
Ripper 2 gold works on ALL PAL consoles including the new V10's.
NTSC compatible chips will be released later in January 2004

@ RDCras
Welcome to the Forum
Why not go & introduce yourself to the other members

http://www.cdrbase.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=141

Please read the Rulez <<< >>> And dont forget The Search Button ;)

http://www.cdrbase.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=58

The-poacher <<>> Super Moderator :p

Tnx for your input <> but for the record is this an unbiased view OR (& i'm not being funny) are U connected to the Ripper 2 concern.We like to have this sort of info on the forum but its also nice to know the source.:cool:

ps2king

RDCras said:
The Ripper2 has 17 wires, the DMS3 24. The Ripper2 is one chip for all versions PS2, the DMS3 has a seperate chip for version9.

Now, does that sound like an exact replica/copy/clone to you?
the DMS3 chip if for all version and 1 chip is compatible with NTSC and PAL consoles!! They made a new chip for the v9/10 due to some problems they were having b4.

RDCras said:
Fitted quite a few of the Ripper 2 chips having previously fitted the Messiah chip for the past 12 months. It's very easy to install and does much more than the Messiah. It's also far less fussy than the DMS 3 when booting cheaper media.
Now when have you played cheaper media on a DMS?!? DMS3 reads anything you throw at it! Same with my Messiah. I have even used s**t media such as PINE and PENGO! It still reads it!
RDCras said:
Ripper 2 gold works on ALL PAL consoles....
only if it worked with NTSC LIKE THE DMS3.

Im sure I haven't convinced you so here I'll recommend you to this thread on another website. http://forums.psxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17172&highlight=ripper+2+gold

and I quote.

Backstar said:
Well folks I received some Ripper2 golds today to test, so far I have to say I'm not too impressed...
Backstar said:
From the sales email I received I was under the impression PS1 games and DVD films would be autodetected.... This isn't the case, its back to the old Messiah1 days, double click reset
Backstar said:
To make matters worse I can't get any of the advanced features working either, so far I've tried Fast boot mode and Dev mode, it would appear the Ripper2 gold I've got in there doesn't want to listen to the controller.
ShadowKnyght said:
strange - one would have thought that based on the fact that the ripper code has just been ripped from the DMS - they would be more reliable...
I ask that you plz read the WHOLE thread.

This is just a taste of some of the problems others have had with the Ripper.