Retriving data from a crashed HD?

I need to get some vary important information off of a hd and I don't want to pay a whole bunch of money. If i could do it my self i will. My drive is only detected sometimes as an 8.4 gig and others as just an IDE HD. The drive is a WD 1200JB 7,200 rpm drive. Plz help me asap thank you.

@ Viper_182

I suggest obtaining a copy of Hard Disk Drive Regenerator (HDD Regenerator) and see if this software program can “revive” you hard diver.

Rest Regards,
Coaster

if it's not a (drive build-in) controller fault, then you can try your luck with GetDataBack. (no freeware)

Install the software on a working Windows computer and attach the hard drive which contains the lost files as a second hard drive to this computer. Make sure that the second hard drive is recognized by the BIOS.

Greetings from
Duracell

sometimes it detects it as an 8.4 GB drive other times it dosn't detect it at all. Also when i put it on auto it detects it as a IDE Hard Drive and the after a little while gives me a Hard drive error hit F1 to setup thing.

:) yes Viper i have tryed different cables. You know i hate it when its something like that lol. Also I tryed puting it on a diff ide channle that didn't work either.

Coaster said:
@ Viper_182

I suggest obtaining a copy of Hard Disk Drive Regenerator (HDD Regenerator) and see if this software program can “revive” you hard diver.

Rest Regards,
Coaster
This piece of art saved my a$$ and my music..good bless him :)
download a tryil and see if it can repair???if it says yes i would recomend to buy it..
its worth it..or get a copy anyhow but check the software..it was a mighty surprise in my case :)

Viper, a last resort - if the data is really worth it (no jokes about backups here..), then you can try to find the exact same drive elsewhere and swap out the IDE controller board.

If that does not work, then get brave, open the case, swap the platters with the other drive. It may be enough to get the data off...

I can see how that would work but i can't do that man. I gotta send the bad drive back to Westen Digital. I got a replacment. drive from them.

If you have a look at mrbass.org, there is an "ultimate boot cd" which has a load of diagnostic software on it. It may be worth giving it a try, it may recover some stuff for you.

I am sorry, but A SLAVE DRIVE WITH NO MASTER PRESENT (which is your case- second attached picture) is not a real option!
Simply put the drive as primary master...

Last edited:
scarecrow said:
I am sorry, but A SLAVE DRIVE WITH NO MASTER PRESENT (which is your case- second attached picture) is not a real option!
Simply put the drive as primary master...

good point !? wonder why no one else spotted that :)

well it just happens to be a slave in that picture. I tried it the other way as a master and it still didn't work. Even if it was a slave it still should have detected the full 120GB shouldn't it? Also I have a copy of the UBCD good bunch of programs, but i can't get my computer to detected it completly. I i could do that i'm sure one of the programs mentioned would fix it in now time.

I think the SiS 735 integrated IDE controller is capped to 80GB- not sure as I never had a SiS 735 system, and anyway the accepted HD capacity is also BIOS related. To sum up:
1. Move the HD to primary master.
2. Flash the latest BIOS revision from ECS for your mainboard.
3. Set the MODE for your HD within the BIOS to LBA (Large Block Address).
Only now you will be able to tell if the HD is damaged or not.