RedHat 8

Well, it looks like RH 8 will be out Monday. I may try that instead of Mandrake 9.

I wonder when we will get a fast server posted to get the ISO's?

pokopiko said:
Yes, Gnome. The relations between Red Hat and the KDE staff couldn't be worse.
Well, I had heard that Gnome was slower....maybe I will try MDK 9 after all!

Mandrake 9

I was lucky enough to download this before it hit as final from the server in UK---nice speed at 10:00 pm est. Not shure what is ment as supported but there is a choice on login of which you want--KDE, Gnome, or IceWM. Almost like having three OS in one package as the desktop and start menu are different for each. Noobie is to knowledge bound of a description to apply to myself at this point and I am afraid Tux has the upper hand----for now!

Forgive me as I have not been keeping up very much with what is happening with the desktop plans for Red Hat 8, but it was my impression that they were planning on meshing KDE and Gnome together into one desktop, but using the Gnome UI. I personally perform Gnome over KDE for a variety of reasons. I find it to be cleaner and I got made fun of by my Linux guru friends when I first started using Linux and installed KDE (lame reason, I know, but I did find that I like Gnome better). Come to think of it, they made fun of me for installing a desktop period. Anyway, If it does end up that you do not have a choice, then the non-newbie friendly solution would be to build your KDE desktop from source and use that instead.

Last edited: