Red hat login question?

Loaded Red Hat 8--booted logged in under the account that was created and supplied the password but now all that I get is a command line [Howdy@localhost Howdy]$ now what? My experience with linux has been frustrating so far--At least mandrake runs a nice gui to ease me into the switch from winblows

Well, I haven't installed Red Hat 8 as of yet to check it out, but I would have to say that it can't be much different than 7.3 which should have installed X to start automatically at boot time. Type startx at the prompt and see what happens.

I went ahead and installed it. Same as the other releases. At the very end of the installation you can choose Graphical or Text Login. Graphical is selected by default. Should boot into a GUI for you.

PS: I'm not overly impressed by this release so far after about an hour or so of playing with it.

if with startx everything seems fine and you wish to allways get into graphical mode every time you boot:

edit /etc/inittab and change initdefault to 5

(learn "vi" !!!, its escential!!!, but for now, you can use "pico" to edit /etc/inittab eg: "pico /etc/inittab")

if startx dont work:

type:

startx 2&1 > /tmp/trash

post the contents of /tmp/trash

(cat /tmp/trash)

Last edited:
no idea to solve the problem. Just let me tell you RedHat is the worse linux i know till now and i tried quiet many suse debian, freebsd, ( UNIX ) , aso..
redhat is really not worth trying it.use debian instead