Recommened MPEG2 encoder & Mastering Software

Hey guys, just curious what you guys think is the best software for each of these 2 DVD creation related categories:

1)
MPEG2 Encoder

2)
DVD Mastering (Creation) Software

I am new to DVD authoring and want to start off with what most people consider to be the best software.

For MPEG 2 encoding in particular, I used Xing's software and TMPenc but I am looking for something better, preferably something than can allow me to choose variable bitrates and encode from not just avi's, but MPG1 and other popular video formats. I was frustrated that both programs couldn't even re-encode the ATI Captured MPEG2 files. (Honestech encoder only works with AVI's as well).

Lastly, does anyone know how I can encode a MPEG2 file that would include 2 audio tracks:

a) a analog audio stereo track (Standard 16-bit 44khz quality)
b) a dolby digital 2.0 track

I would want to have both sound tracks in a DVD for when I convert home video's or t.v. programs since some people only hook up their video player with an digital cable (Thus they can only get digital audio playback) or some people only hook up there player using an RCA audio (red white) connection so they can only get audio playback. I'd like to accomdate both setups.

My Radeon 8500 DV supports capturing audio at a 48khz quality so I just need the software to do the above audio encoding as well.

Hi

I use Tmpgenc2.55Plus or ReMPG to encode. Most of my encoding is reducing the bitrate (DVD -> 4.4Gb DVD-R). I do some AVI to MPEG2, (I have a Radion 64DDR VIVO) but for analogue in I use a Navis MPEG capture Card.

I used to use DVDit!PE2.5 but found this was very fussy. Spruceup is much better, but can only generate 4:3 output, so ypu have to use IFOEdit on the generated .IFO files to change the aspect ration when you want 16:9.

DVD burning is where I have problems. I can produce DVDs which play fine on P.C.s, but don't work on Stand-alone DVD players. I have a Pioneer A04 and at the moment, use Nero 5590. I tried a version of Prassi PrimoDVD 2.0, but it did not like my A04. Someone here has up'ed a newer version and I will try that.
I think you need to use "DVDROM (ISO/UDF)" in Nero to make it work on Stand-alones. (Anyone got any input on this?)

I always separate the video and Audio streams. Try and keep the
audio 48Kh, 384Kbps PCM or AC3 (AC3 is smaller). Spruceup likes both.

Hope some of this helps.

VHDLMan

thanks it does get me started.

I didn't notice that tmpenc had optiosn to change the bitrate.
From what I hear though CinemaCraft Encoder does a better job of encoding the video in terms of quality.

There is a limitation on encoding MPEG1 in CCE. The software does not allow us to change the bit rate. It fixed it at VCD format which is 1150kbps for video and 224kbps for audio.

Most of my time, I have encoded my video in MPEG1 xVCD format at 2500 bps for video and 224bps for audio in TMPGEnc. The quality is much better than I have encoded in MPEG2.

In general, both of the quality are the same. It is very difficult to tell the minute differences unless we have a special equipment to measure it.:p

My experiences come from ripping and stripping DVDs so I'm sorry if I can't advise as to converting your own files to a DVD compatible format.

I think ATI uses its own (not quite standard Mpeg1 & 2) fomat and you are likely to need to find a converter or save in one of these formats.

As long as you are using a DVD writable drive rather than trying to convert to some type of Video CD format I would recommend using CCE for encoding and DVDMaestro for authoring. These two prgrams are the Dog's gonads and once you have learnt how to use them I expect they will do almost anything that you want to achive.
(Maestro is very powerful but easy to use and CCE is faster than other encoders.)

Maestro handles different audio streams with ease but you might not need to record two streams as DVD players will output DD 5.1 streams to analogue HiFi equipment without needing a seperate stream.

DVDMaestro has excellent features and will allow multiple audio streams without any problems. If you are building your own DVDs you'll need 48Khz rather than 44Khz as I don't think DVD players support 44Khz.

Try checking out h**p://www.doom9.org/ for some excellent guides, tutorials and their own forum.

You might have a steep hill to climb but the view from the top is worthwhile.

[I would recommend using CCE for encoding and DVDMaestro for authoring. These two prgrams are the Dog's gonads and once you have learnt how to use them I expect they will do almost anything that you want to achive.
(Maestro is very powerful but easy to use and CCE is faster than other encoders.)

Maestro handles different audio streams with ease but you might not need to record two streams as DVD players will output DD 5.1 streams to analogue HiFi equipment without needing a seperate stream.

DVDMaestro has excellent features and will allow multiple audio streams without any problems. If you are building your own DVDs you'll need 48Khz rather than 44Khz as I don't think DVD players support 44Khz.

[/B][/QUOTE]

hehe the dog's gonads? Is that you triump the insult dog?

Fortantely, the new ATI MMC software does support capturing audio at 48khz.

And, because you said that most dvd players support outputting DD5.1 or DD2.0 to analog audio, then I only need to record a DD 2.0 or 5.1 track, I can forego the analog track.

Thanks for the help and links guys!

po

Last edited:
Yes if you use the dvd video in NERO it will screw things up it still doesn't work correctly. Atleast not with the Sony DRU120 use the UDF ISO mode. I noticed some said they could use AC3 audio in Spruce UP I thought this was not possible. Please explain.

Don

Taz69 said:
I think Spruce Up works with but can't encode ac3 audio.
To get SpruceUp to use AC3 files, put the video and audio files in the same directory and make sure the file names are identical except for the ".extension".

Ex: SomeMovie.mpg and SomeMovie.ac3

The audio file will need to be pre-encoded to or ripped in AC3 format. SpruceUp will not encode to AC3 format but will use them. I have done this several times and it works flawlessly even with full 5.1 channel files. It does add quite a bit of extra time to the import.

-wp

E

elpresidente

1. CinemaCraftEncoder rulez
2. Sonic DVD Fusion is also very powerful
3. Nero (DVD-VIDEO) works fine + the DVDs work fine on standalone players

üsse

Cinemacraft is very quick, and yes it is very powerful in terms of bitrate-manipulation/tweaking, BUT, if you are using DV as your source footage, rather than ripped MPEG2 source footage, you will get BETTER quality (trust me, this IS true) by using TMPGEnc Plus. TMPGEnc just handles YUV data far better than Cinemacraft (which is more suitable for transcoding RGB footage - which is what MPEG2 source files are)

CDrZeus.

S

Shoebedobedoo

Cinema Craft Encoder rules!

I agree with elpresidente.
1) Cinema Craft Encoder
2) No other.... ;)

Shoebedobedoo:cool:

I give up.

This discussion is ABSURD without acknowledgment that different MPEG encoders perform **DIFFERENTLY** depending on whether they are fed with YUV, or with RGB source footage. CCE has an excellent reputation, and indeed it IS excellent, but it does *NOT* encode to as high-a-quality as TMPGEnc Plus where YUV footage is used as the source. The reason everyone in the amateur scene raves som much about CCE is that it is fast, it allows good multipass VBR manipulation, and that the VAST MAJORITY of amateurs use it only to re-encode RIPs of material which they did not generate themselves (MPEG2 RIPs from Hollywood DVDs, which are, by definition, RGB colourspace). For amateurs who actually take the time and trouble to generate their own material on DVcam (which is YUV colourspace), TMPGEnc does a better job than CCE, albeit at an encoding- time-penalty. CCE is not as well-optimised for YUV colourspace source files as TMPGEnc is.

In short, there is no such thing as the "perfect" encoder - it all comes down to educating oneself about which encoder it is best to use DEPENDING on the specific circumstances, and the characteristics of the source footage. In the same way that there is no single type of source footage, so there is no single 'best' encoder which will do the best job on every single type of source footage. "Horses For Courses"

CDrZeus.

Last edited:
E

elpresidente

hey mate ... maybe it´s like u said ...but if we (the forum) start to answer that way .... there wouldn´t be any answers anymore.... cause everything has pros and cons...and CCE does the DVD Video2DVDR task better than other appz...

regards

amateur elpresidente

:cool: :cool:

thanks for the replies guys.

OK so I'll use CCE for encoding .avi's and re-encoding mpegs, and I'll use TMPenc for DV video when I buy a camera eventually.

Thanks

prime

The thing is that if you are ripping DVD"s and use DVD2AVI ,it converts the RGB color space into YUV color space so if you are useing dvd2avi you are encodeing Yuv...which is the only real way to rip and encode DVD"s with CCE......

another thing I just noticed is that Tmpgenc does not encode Pure YUV2 files, I capture to Uncompressed YUV2 avi files and Tmpgenc will not load then and it isn"t a codec problem or a direct show problem cuz there are no codecs involved with Yuv uncompressed, so I e-mail Hori when writer of Tmpgenc and he told me he hasn"t Implemented YUV2 encodeing with Tmpgenc,I asked him about Yuv codecs and formats that Tmpgenc does encode and he said something about the decoder of direct show or something converting the colorspace to RGB, so all the talk about Tmpgenc encodeing Yuv data better than CCE can"t be true according to the author of Tmpgenc..It"s all trivial anyways I guess it is what works best for each person...

E

elpresidente

@minion --> that´s true ... everybody has to decide for himself which prog he is going to use ....

such threads (which is the best) r complete nonsense ...cause everbody has different experiences....and most time there isn´t a best prog ...cause everything has pros and cons ...

üsse