Reccomended P4 Boards

Well, the parts arrived in the morning, were installed and now I'm reinstalling my operating systems.

Windows 98- Needed Some Driver updates, now reinstall needed
Windows 2000- BSOD, Needs Reinstalling (Fun)
Windows XP- BSOD (not as much info as 2000), Needs Reinstalling (More Fun!)

SuSE 8.0- Plain Crash, REinstalled
Red Hat 9.0 Crashed, reinstalling

I guess the change in IDE controller (and possibly to pseudo SMP) was a little too much for all but 98, I guess there is some life in it after all. Still, at least I have 2.4GHz worth of faster computer that is getting there. The retention mechanism for the heatsing was a delight to use, and I wasn't scared of crushing the CPU core a la Athlon

completely fresh installing or a professional deploying/migrating process are the only ways to go to get a stable and reliable OS;

Myself after looking around for a new P4 system to build my new baby have ended up to Asus P4S800D-E mobo (two flavours, plain and deluxe, both based on the new SiS 655 chipset). Cheap and more than cheerful (in fact measured as faster than Intel 875e based mobos), while being really CHEAP, and also ready to support the new generation of Intel CPU's. Their main con is that they are very picky on the RAM modules used- just grab one of the recommended ones at Asus site, and you cannot go wrong- Asus brand is a "lifetime" warranty.

Well at least it is not all bad news, Asus monitor software running on 98 reports the COU running at 25 degrees (Celsius). My old Athlon XP used to run at about 39-41