R.I.P - IBM Deskstar 40 gig

Bad sectors .. tryed to repair with IBM fitness Tester .. finds the bad sectors .. but freezes when doing the repair .. there 2 spots on hd .. anyone know of any other prog will repair .. so I can do back of repaired HD and send this suker off to get replaced .. and restore back up to 80 gig .....

Operating System: Windows XP Pro (5.1 - 2600) Installed: 84wks 1day 17mins 11secs ago <== i WAS Going so well too .. bloody IBM crap HD's :mad: :mad: this second one in last 6 months ..

I had my 60Gb Deskstar under 4 months when it gave up the ghost, the drive became very slow, tried the repair tools without any joy, must say though that when i returned the drive i had a replacement back in just under 3 weeks, which i thought was pretty good, i was expecting a 3 month wait.

Whilst waiting for the drive to be replaced i purchased a Seagate Barracuda 80Gb from PC world, i would not buy another IBM drive again, sold the replaced IMB drive on E-Bay for £48.

no need for repairing bevor backup; you only needs a boot CD with an error tolerant IDE driver;
take a look at O&O BlueCon XXL (http://www.oo-software.com/)
whit it you can made a bootable CD,
boot your PC from this CD without any write accsses to HDD,
copy the content of the broken HDD to another HDD in BlueCon's console mode ("DOS like");
and yes BlueCon is able to read and write NTFS;

Greetings from
Duracell

dx

X-BoNeS-X...... was it an IBM Deskstar 75GXP or 60GXP?

These drives are notorious for failures... esp the 75GXP. I had three of these drives go out on me within a two year span. :mad: RMA'd each one of them.

Just when I was about to swear off IBM completely, they RMA'd me a BRAND NEW 120GXP as a replacement (instead of a 75GXP refurb). I've been using it ever since without any problems for almost a year now. I have been hearing others out there getting the same RMA upgrades.

The 120GXP and 180GXP do not exhibit the problems of these earlier drives.

Good luck with your RMA!

Your next HD will die soon too, if it is not properly cooled and ventilated- and almost all current PC cases don't offer any luxuries. The only way to keep it in good shape is mounting the drive to a PC 5.25" bay into a cooling case (aluminium base+ fan- or fans).

http://www.geocities.com/dtla_update/

Was it a GXP75 .... The "IBM DEATHstar" ?

A drive with many problems - it seems two of the most major being a firmware issue which could cuase data loss and drive corruption (including critical servo data).

And a physical issue - it would seem the drive originally lacked "wear rate levelling" - the system by which the heads are made to wander when the drive is idle - it may also assist with temperature levelling, as these are GLASS PLATTER drives, which may allow localized warming of an area the heads dwell over, as the platter thermal conductivity is far less than for aluminium.

dx

scarecrow said:
Your next HD will die soon too, if it is not properly cooled and ventilated- and almost all current PC cases don't offer any luxuries. The only way to keep it in good shape is mounting the drive to a PC 5.25" bay into a cooling case (aluminium base+ fan- or fans).

Always have been cooled my friend..... from my first IBM 75GXP failure till now. Learned this trick with our AVID SCSI shuttle drives at work. I have a nice HD cooler that keeps my drives from getting warm. But it seems no matter how cool a 75GXP was/is it still gets fragged. Without getting into detail.... they were poorly designed in the first place (edit.... LTR12101B explains it perfectly above ;) ).

Your advice is a must IMHO with any modern HD though. They run far too hot and need a good cooling solution to last.

A LOT of myths sprang up around the GXP75....

Eg. One country good, others bad, or avoiding using the full capacity (as the centre is probably the worst place for a thermal dead spot)

I wonder if they were better mounted vertically, as that would tend to disperse thermal dead zones better.

I've seen minitowers that mount them vertically - though the usual minitower tends to have horizontal mounts, this one had a "hanging bay" for about 3 drives vertically mounted and spaced - a FAR better thermal arrangement than horizontal stacking in all respects.

In my case, the drive is horizontal, and has no cooler, but the front fan box is cunningly designed so it also draws some air out from the drive bay area. And it's only a 5400rpm, which tend to run cooler.

The GXP75 had it ALL - glass platters, GMR heads, 7200 rpm speed - maybe the combination of the tricky GMR head and the glass platters was just too much!

Last edited:
IBM 40gb 5400 rpm ata-100 2mb Deskstar
IBM DTLA 305040 <== this is wot saids when right click HD and go Hardware
Unknown which one ++++>IBM Deskstar 75GXP or 60GXP?

dx

You have a Deskstar 40GV, 5400rpm bud. It's based upon the same technology as the 75GXP (and came out around the same time).

These drives have a 3-year warranty, so if you can RMA it.... do it. Perhaps you will get lucky and get a better drive like many seem to. IBM (now Hitachi) are extremely slow about the RMA process though. It took almost a month for my drive round trip!

Not saying I trust IBM..... but they finally made it right for me and gave me a reliable drive that works.

Heh I gotta send it bak to singapore .. wot a frigging Joke .. is Australia that backward country we don't have head office here .. really pissed me off !! :(