question to chickenman

I've been following your avi to vcd tutorial and have a question:

I have previously always ripped the audio to a wav using virtualdub and then set the wav file as the audio source in tmpgenc.

Is there any reason for demultiplexing the mpg file after encoding with tmpgenc, and then re-multiplexing the film back to gether with bbmpeg?

I am wondering if your suggested method produces a better output than the virtualdub method (which you do mention as a last resort).

Thanks Chickendude!

I only suggest the de-mux with TMPGEnc and re-mux with bbMPEG ONLY if the final mpg has Audio/Video syncrenization problems. As Step 3 says>

Step 3: Fixing Video / Audio Synconization.

There is no quality change, just an attempt to fix a potential problem.

Also, have a read of the 2nd post attached to the AVI to VCD tutorial (if you havent done so before), it talks about how to handle the Audio file extraction and conversion with VirtualDUB correctly.

Ah I see - I didn't realise it was for fixing probs! I understand now ;)

I prefer de-mulitplexing beforehand as I almost always seem to get audio probs if I don't!

One more question: when I use virtualdub, I usually set it to full processing mode and set the conversion to 44100Hz.

Any thoughts?

If the audio is standard MP3, then yes setting VD to Full Processing Mode is okay, but if its VBR MP3, it will produce a WAV file but will have sync problems. The way I mention at the bottom of the Tut solves these problems.

You could also try Nanbub instead of VirtualDUB as it can handle VBR MP3. But I've always found Nandub to variable so I stick with known VD thats still being updated from time to time.