Question about upcoming Dual Layer DVD Burners

HiBob

I read from here:

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/news/032904roundup/

the following:

High-density DVDs?which would almost double the capacity of today's standard 4.7Gbyte discs?could become commonplace with the advent of dual-layer DVD burners. Such devices are being introduced by several manufacturers and should begin to arrive at retailers in May.

DVD+RW ("Plus R") burners from companies such as Hewlett-Packard, Philips and Sony should be able to exploit the potential of two-layer recordable blanks with 8.5GB data capacity. All three companies announced such intentions at January's Consumer Electronics Show (CES).

Sony's DRU-700A ($230) and DRX-700UL ($300) should arrive by early summer. At the same time, so should dual-layer blank media from Verbatim. Toshiba, Panasonic, and other supporters of the "Dash DVD" and DVD-RAM formats haven't made dual-layer announcements. Dual-layer drives will be backward-compatible with single layer discs.

So my questions are as follows:

Movies are stored on these dual layer dvd's correct? If so, which type of dvd's do they use (plus, minus, both)?
If I burn media with these new drives that come out soon, will they work in my dvd player (assuming that I backup my current dvd's).
Will I need to shrink movies to back them up on these dual disc formats?
Should I hold out until there maybe is a dual layer plus and minus format?

Thanks in advance for your answers, I'm sorry for the dumbass questions!

Also let not forget that usually the first drives that come out will be junk and will cost the most!! One more thing how do we know if the first media will be any good? Think about it how many different brand - media you just can't read after six months. :eek: I'm going to have a wait and see. I wait while every moron goes out and wast their money!!! :D JMHO. Then I get a better drive for less more. :D
Yes you will still have to shrink in some cases because the blanks will only be 8 gigs.

HiBob said:
Movies are stored on these dual layer dvd's correct? If so, which type of dvd's do they use (plus, minus, both)?
If I burn media with these new drives that come out soon, will they work in my dvd player (assuming that I backup my current dvd's).
Will I need to shrink movies to back them up on these dual disc formats?
Should I hold out until there maybe is a dual layer plus and minus format?
1) + and - are recordable formats; retail dvds are pressed, so they're neither.
2) nobody knows how compatible recordable dual-layer dvds will be yet.
3) shrinking won't be necessary, as recordable dual-layer dvds are designed to hold as much as pressed dual-layer dvds.
4) holding out for either format is something that remains to be seen based on how well they perform. + will be out before -.