PS2 DVD Games Not Loading

C Merk

Hey y'all,

I just had my version 7 39001 with a KHS-400C laser installed with a 'Chipmod' by an electronic guy, Jeff, who installed many chips in PS2s. My console won't load DVD orginals and/or back-ups anymore.
Jeff swapped a different v7 39001 disc drive with mine and my console worked fine: it played orginals and back-ups. Unfortunately, he had to put my disc drive back in my console as the replacement was someone elses.
Now, my problem is this: the screen goes to the 'Browser' screen when ever I put an orginal or back-up DVD in and then it stays on the 'reading disc' screen and will never actually read the disc.
When deassemble the console, and remove the disc-tray, I will move the laser as close as possible to the 'spindle' thingy that moves the disc.
I can then boot an orginal or back-up DVD, and it will get as far as the loading screen, but no further. For example, with a back-up of GTA: SA, the load bar will be full but the game will be stuck on that screen and with an orginal Madden 2005 it will just say 'loading . . .'
Another thing, when it is loadding, it's making the 'grinding' and 'clicking' noises that are associated with a faulty 'laser arm'.
I have applied sewing machine oil to the 'snake shaft' that is responsible for moving the laser and I have cleaned the laser lens with alcohol and I have failed to solve the problem.
Jeff advised I may need a new laser, but I'm thinking I may, possibly need a new 'laser arm'. Is there anything else I can do to diagnose the problem before I spend my hard-earned chedder on PS2 parts?
Any advice would be very much appriecated!

Thanks, and cheers,

C

C Merk

:) Hey y'all,

Just wanted to let y'all know I solved my problem. I bought a second hand 30 001 PS2 for 20 Canadian dollars, then I replaced my 39001 laser arm with the 30001 arm. It worked fine after that: no noises when loading or anything. When I examined the faulty 39001 arm I noticed two small nodules that insert into a metal part of the metal laser device. One of these nodules looked worn down and appeared much smaller then the other. Thus, I believe this worn down nodule was causing the laser to not move along the drive shaft properly.

Thanks for looking at my thread,

C