PS2 chipping not illegal

new2this

Here is a link to story about ps2 chipping in Italy. Worth a read. I'm not sure if this is ok to post links here so just say and I will delete the post.
http://www.silicon.com/management/government/0,39024677,39117891,00.htm
new2this ;)

Its legal anywhere to chip anything U own as far as Im concerned >< if U bought something u can do what U like with it <> but copy something <> that is sometimes a different ball game

new2this

Not so, apparently. I subscribe to PCW magazine and thay have been reporting some new agreements that come with haedware and software state an acceptable use with the goods you buy. The jist is you are allowed to use the product but not modify it in any way. I will have a look through the past few issues and find the articles.

new2this ;)

That is a contract between U & the supplier not a law only enforcable in civil courts & U dont have to agree (mind U they may not sell) & I reckon thats a beaut for the Human Rights lawyers to make some mazuma!!!

I'm not here to argue LOL. :p
nor me its interesting
hardware and software state an acceptable use with the goods you buy. The jist is you are allowed to use the product but not modify it in any way. I will have a look through the past few issues and find the articles.
they will try anything bud

9HomerSimpson9

I heard that is now against the law to have modchips in England.
But what about IRELAND???

Does anyone have a list of the countries were its banned???

ps2king

It's not illegal becaue you're only modifying ur console to blay backups of the games which you own.

9HomerSimpson9

Then what was all that crap that people were saying???
Im not going to say any names but even really respected people
on ps2newz and cdrom-guide were going around saying
that its illegal to sell modchips in england.

I even seen something about it in ITV news tv.
Although i only saw the end.

It was supposed to have taken effect at the start of this year??

pyromaniac

Technically, its illegal to import a console from abroad (but that wouldn't wash in court).

What we should be concentrating on now is the fact that the music industry saw record album sales in the UK last year, proving beyond any doubt that by allowing customers the opportunity to download 'free' evaluation samples, sales will soar!

rcade

Modifying your console is not Illegal. Mod chips are used to Play Imported games and back up games you already own. The only time where it is illegal is when you copy a game that is not yours and use the mod chip to play it. If you get caught you can face serious charges and fines up to millions of dollars, especially if you get caught selling the illegally copied games.