Prodisc/ Taiyo Yuden CDRs - silver matte

shape

firstly, i cant seem to find Taiyo Yuden CDRs with surfaces that are meant for writing on (with marker). i can only find the silver or white inkjet printables, which are super sticky & matte, and leave every fingerprint looking like it's branded on there forever - not good. and the silver thermal laquers are mirror reflective which are really only meant for pasting labels on, as it's so reflective it's hard to read anything written on them, and also impossible not to get blinded by the intense color spectrum reflection when writing under light.

so i was wondering if the Prodiscs compare to Taiyo Yuden, b/c they offer CDRs with writable silver matte surfaces. i just want standard smooth silver matte like any data CDR you can find in stores - ie TDK, Fuji, Memorex.

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

No they don't... only Mitsui, Mitsubishi and Ricoh CDR's are comparable to TY, quality-wise. Ricohs are currently quite rare outside Japan.

shape

thanks for the info. unfortunately, i'm not able to find anything online in the US by mitsubishi or ricoh, and the mitsui's are almost twice the price of taiyo yudens. and i've searched for an hour...

it's hard to beleive TY doesnt make a bulk cdr that is made for writing on, unless i'm just not finding it. the silver inkjet ones are almost as sticky as fly paper, and if a layer of dust gets on the top, it's there forever - very strange material indeed. now i have to return 200 of them.

are the white inkjets as sticky as the silvers?

are there any other CDRs that are almost as good and come in bulk silver matte?

thanks a lot

TY and Mitsui is about same price here- probably because the available Mitsui media are made in EU (France).
From the known brands, "Creation" are known distrubuting decent quality silver matte media, although the actual manufacturer is not always known before unpacking...
Anyway, Prodisk aren't bad, but their lifetime (not their dye quality, which is more than acceptable!) is questionable.

shape

thanks, but Creation are also not available in the US. the US basically sucks for CDRs, esp in bulk.

are the prodiscs as compatable as TY? one thing i noticed about inferior brands, like TDK data spindles, are that audio cds have problems being read in some players.

a few websites that sell TY in the US say that prodisc are the 2nd best manufacturer worldwide, and ritek is #3. is this not accurate?

when you say the lifetime is questionable, will they last 50 years, 80 yrs? the TY are guarenteed for 100 supposedly, but i would rather have writable CDRs than 100 yr lifespans :)

shape

hi, thanks but those are actually the matte inkjet printable ones that i mentioned above which are very sticky kind of like fly paper (weird!!! - why would anyone want these?). i'm looking for matte which are not necessarily inkjet printable (and not sticky) - like standard CDRs that come in single cases.

If you can find Fuji media, then you have good chances to buy decent stuff, although you still cannot be sure about the actual manufacturer. Sorry I cannot help much, but I reside in Europe, and I always buy TY printable media, which I print after burning on my Canon Pixma i5000 inkjet (and yes, I do know that the very same printer does not have a CDR printing module in USA!).