probs with monitor /graphic card

hullo
starting the new yr with a problem lol
my probs is not zat serious ,but find it annoying,,,my monitor ,an ibm e74 ,has started to display with a sort of yellowish tint,it may keep it for some time n then display normally...i tried toying with the color option of my monitor,didnt change a thing
is it a sign my monitor is getting busted?i do have it even on debian,so it isn't related to my OS
anyone can help,thx :)

I had the same symptoms with my old cimputer,Radeon AIW 32 bit graphics card and Acer monitor,except the color was blue tinted instead of yellow.
In my case,it turned out to be tne monitor.........

serjer said:
okie,but roady does it means that the monitor need to pay the workshop a visit or going r.i.p?
Mine still works,but I didn't want to spend some mony for an older monitor to be repaired when you have a new 1 for 125-150$.....My 10 year old girl can live with it,ATM,she only uses my oldie to visit the internet a few days a month.....and she doesn't game..

Just a tint, or does it lose the blue altogether?

Sounds like it's reaching the end, though if it's a preset adjustment that's making intermittent contact, it may be repairable, but the cost of repair is a problem - many computer places are unlikely to do monitor repairs, which are closer to TV repair than computer.

last time my sreen went like that i punched it :) seemed to clear it up but almost broke 2 of my fingers

(btw im not saying you do this)

CRT monitor repair is closer to TV repair like LTR12101B said (I started working on TV's 30 years ago). Color changes indicate one (or more) of the color guns is either weak or not fuctioning or the driver signal for the color is not working correctly. I had a 1 year old monitor that would be off color when it first started and eventually as components warmed up it would return to normal. Fortunatly is was under warranty. True intermittancy can be caused by loose or dirty contacts on picture tube or poor solder joints on the circuit board. With intermittancy you will see the problem come and go with vibrations (that's why "whacking" the case can help).

TV's (and I assume monitors) have potentiometers that can be adjusted to change the intensity of the individual colors (red,green,blue). You can boost a weakening output and extend the useful life with these adjustments. A yellow screen means the blue gun output is either low or out. If its out you won't be able to see a true blue color. You can check by bringing up a color gradient. If the blue section has a black band, the blue is out. The adjustments are inside the cover and done with the power on. Typical operating voltages can be 26,000VDC in the high voltage area. These high voltage areas can store a significant charge even with the power off. If you don't know what you are doing, you could get seriously hurt.

Other things that can effect color is when the gun is not hitting the correct spot on the screen. This can be the result of magnetic fields. Is there anything in the immediate area of the screen that could be on some times and off others (like a flourescent lamp)?

How old is the monitor?