PROBLEMS WITH Kingston's USB Flash Memory Drive 128mb bsod's

anyone found a problem with Kingston's USB Flash Memory Drive 128mb or other Kingston's USB Flash Memory Drives !? in windows XP !?

the problem what we are having at work is that we have 6 of these usb drives for portable storage for easy transport of files etc ...

But this is where the problem is XP detects the drives fine and the data copies to the drives fine ... until you remove the drive it REBOOTS the system B.S.O.D :( then its fine again once rebooted untill its removed again !?

anyone had similar probs and how did you resolve it !?

thanks in advance :)

did you remove the drive from windows before disconnecting it ?
theres is this icon in your tray when you attach the device ... just click on it and select remove this device or something like that ... not sure how it is called
may cause problems if you just disconnect it without doing that
forti

nope no icon on the task bar forti mate and no where to unload the drive before removal !?

xp picks it up as another drive as per plug an play ?!

just every other unplug crashes it ?!

here you can see the icon and the safely remove hardware dialog:
http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/howto-07.html

dont have an usb stick but i sometimes use a firewire hd and the icon appears when i plug it in ...

edit:
go to the control panel and start the add/remove hardware wizard ... looks like you can unload devices with this tool too ...

forti

Last edited:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH THAT one forti lol :)

no we tried that one lol ... i was looking for a specific icon bud lol dohh :)

and that made no difference bud it removed it yet still crashed when removing the device !?

i think i will have to kick the i.t. tech heads into gear when i see them and get them to sort the hardware detection out :)

VIPER_1069 said:
... until you remove the drive it REBOOTS the system B.S.O.D :( then its fine again once rebooted untill its removed again !?
it would be helpful to disable "Automatic Restart": right click at My Computer > properties > enlarged > start and restoring (i'm not sure about the english terms)
so you will get a BSOD instead of a reboot; in the first three lines of the BSOD the trouble causing driver/software is named;

yeah will do that tomorrows duracell thanks for the reminder :)

im guessing that it requires the microsux patch for the usb ports that i installed on my home system a month or so back !?

will have to chat to the tech support guys as all the systems where i work have WINROLL BACK on them to clear the systems and fix any problems on bootup as we are an I.T. learning centre where lots of things could go wrong all the time and usually do :) the rollback sets the system back to a fresh start each time :)

so this will have to be disabled or the whole update thang will be a waste of time lol !? :)

VIPER_1069 said:
im guessing that it requires the microsux patch for the usb ports that i installed on my home system a month or so back !?
don't know about XP; :confused:
i'm using a 128 MB USB 1.1 stick by Typhoon and didn't installed a patch in W2kSP4; the stick works flawless every time;

i don't think it's a Kingston failure;
check the motherboard/chipset fabricator's homepage, if there are USB drivers available (or included in their chipset driver package);
i don't use XP, so i don't know if M$ having an related update on their list, but could be possible too;

@duracell yeah thats why we are going to soak test or check them out for a fixed period of time with various setups and systems to see what happens and then decide if they go back !? but it seems more likely that its a micro suck problem !?

dx

VIPER_1069 said:
im guessing that it requires the microsux patch for the usb ports that i installed on my home system a month or so back !
The native drivers in WinXP should be more than enough. Although I seem to remember a USB patch in SP1. Still, search your Mobo manufacturers website to see if its an issue or there's a patch.

Also search Google and see if it's an issue for others. ;)

yeah I used the SP1 patch with my usb drivers not waking up after sleep mode...i wonder if the same patch will resolve this issue too !? :)