Problems with DivX files after burning them to DVDR.

Just got me a Pioneer 16X DVD R/RW Dual Layered DVD burner, so DVD burning is fairly new for me. Since burning my DivX (avi) files to DVDR, video becomes slow or jiggles when playing. Funny thing though is that when they were on the local drive, all the video were fine; very good quality.

I have a total of 22 avi (encoded by DrDivX v1.06), each 197MB, 34min video:

192kbps Bit Rate
MPEG Layer-3 Audio format
23 frames/sec Frame rate
139kbps data rate
24bit Video sample size
DivX codec Video compression

System I am using is a Pentium III, 1Ghz, 384MB RAM, 32 MB ATI Video laptop and Pentium III 1.2Ghz, 512 MB, 128MB ATI desktop; both running XP Pro.

Both machine show simular results when playing this DVDR. To minimize this problem, I had to set the playback quality to its lowest setting on the Divx Player (came with DrDivX). Is this happening because my machines are slow or should I had consider other settings when using the latest version of Nero when burning these files to DVDR?

So you are saying that lowring the quality setting helps? This would mean that you are maxing out your CPU. Guess maybe you don't have DMA enabled for the drive reading the disc and that reading the disc is eating up too much CPU to allow for full pp.

celtic_druid said:
So you are saying that lowring the quality setting helps? This would mean that you are maxing out your CPU. Guess maybe you don't have DMA enabled for the drive reading the disc and that reading the disc is eating up too much CPU to allow for full pp.
I'm not sure if it's CPU, remember it works fine when the files were on the local hard drive; had other apps running when playing the .avi files. As for DMA setting, it's set to "DMA if available". Wonder if my DVD reader is slow or I burned them incorrectly or bad copy somehow?

Can't see why lowering the pp settings would help if it as just a bad burn. bad media, etc.

What mode is the drive actually running at though?

You should always burn out a data DVDR in ISO/UDF form for best playback compatability. DONT burn them at 16x and use the best media you can afford. Use the cheapest media you can find and you get the results you have.

Can't see why lowering the pp settings would help if it as just a bad burn. bad media, etc.

What mode is the drive actually running at though?
When burning, it was 8X, the DVDR media is made by Verbatim, always had good luck with them.

You should always burn out a data DVDR in ISO/UDF form for best playback compatability. DONT burn them at 16x and use the best media you can afford. Use the cheapest media you can find and you get the results you have.
Thanks for the input, I'll have to try ISO/UDF next time; the one I burned was down with ISO. As for the media, Verbatim is the manufacture... I believe their decent.

Anyways... I did solve the problem. Everything is working fine now, both machines are reading the divx files from the DVDR disc with great quality when viewing the videos. All I needed to do was update the DVD firmware on the laptop and desktop.