Problems with converting to DVD & using RW media

jakdos

Hi, wondered if anyone else had got this problem.

I have a a Philips DVD set top player and JVC set top recorder.

If I use DVD-RW media and burn a proper DVD, whether downloaded or copied / ripped e.t.c the movie plays fine on both set tops. However, if I convert an SVCD or xVid to DVD (tried many progs) the set top player will not recognise the disc and on the set top recorder, the sound keeps going off intermittently.

The player does not specify in the manual it will play DVD-RW media, but it does if they are "proper" dvd format films. The recorder does not play SVCDs or xVids. If I use DVD-R media, then both are fine. The trouble is, it becomes expensive, especially since I download TV episodes to use -R dics. Does anyone know what is causing this, and is there anyway I can get round it. Overall, it seems to be using not fully compliant DVD on -RW media.

Tried using WinAVI Converter, DIKO, SVCD2DVD and all have basically the same problems.

Long winded I know, but just trying to get all the info in.

Cheers in advance
Jak

Last edited:
Your problem is not how your converting it, but the media your using. As you say, DVD-R's work, just not your RW's. I'd suggest trying a different brand of RW's or stay with -R's. The price of DVDR's are now down to what CDR's were a year ago so I wouldnt call that expensive.

jakdos

ChickenMan said:
Your problem is not how your converting it, but the media your using. As you say, DVD-R's work, just not your RW's. I'd suggest trying a different brand of RW's or stay with -R's. The price of DVDR's are now down to what CDR's were a year ago so I wouldnt call that expensive.
Thanks for the reply. My first thoughts were that it was down to the media. I did however, try both TDK and RITEK brand new DVD-RW's and the problem is the same on both. Also, if it is the media, why does it work OK when burning a proper 4.7GB DVD format film ?

Cheers
Jak

Sounds like your DVD Players just dont like RW's. If the conversions play fine when on a -R and not on a RW, then the problem is simply the RW's or your player unable to read them. Your tried a few different brands of RW's and same problem, then the only thing left is your DVD Player. Either buy a new one that does play RW's okay or just simply use -R's that do work for you.