Problems copying with Instant Copy

jakdos

Hi,

Been backing up DVD's using the following method without a problem :

1. Copy to HD using DVD Decryptor
2. Burn movie to DVD using Instant copy.

This process used to take about 1 hour in total - approx 30 mins for each part and I just copied main movie only.

However, the Instant Copy part of it is now taking in excess of 3 hours. I've not changed any settings as far as I can tell. It tests the quality of the video 5 times (approx 25 mins) and then begins copying but only @ 700KB/s. The DVDRW is an NEC 2500 which should write onto my blanks @ x4.

I've reinstalled the software and used the settings from a friend of mine who has no problems. His takes on average 40 mins ! I've installed the latest version of IC + upgrade, and checked the hidden settings. PC is a Athlon 1800, 512MB RAM, 80GB 7200HD, Win XP.

Any ideas, or is this how long it should take for a 7.2 GB movie ? It's LOTR ROTK but also had same problem with Matchstick Men. All before that were fine.

Cheers
Jak

jakdos

PC-GUY said:
By any chance have you change media and who makes the media? :confused:
Also welcome. :)
Thanks for the welcome.

No, the media has not changed. They are just orange 4x speed Bulkpaq from Novatech. I've been using the same for ages.

Cheers
Jak

Are they PRINCO? I don't use them but from what I've read around this forum and others they are junk!!! :eek: You might want to try some other media. :)

jakdos

PC-GUY said:
Are they PRINCO? I don't use them but from what I've read around this forum and others they are junk!!! :eek: You might want to try some other media. :)
Hmm, yup....that's what they are. It's just finished writing after 3 hours and then tells me it's failed due to a buffer underrun....I've not had this error before.

Cheers
Jak

jakdos said:
Hmm, yup....that's what they are. It's just finished writing after 3 hours and then tells me it's failed due to a buffer underrun....I've not had this error before.

Cheers
Jak
MEDIA!!! If you do a search you will see what members like ChickenMan says about them:
"PRINCO labels disks are bad enough, but the Bulkpak labelled stuff is their B or C grade crap. The results you have are unfortunatelythe result of crappy media. Try burning them at 2x or even 1x can solve your playback problems untill you can buy some decent media.

I think you may be surprised to find out how many problem members have had with that media! I say return them and look around the forum and see what media members are having luck with your burner. I use Ritek but I don't know if its good for your burner. If you try new media let us know how you make out. :)

jakdos

Thanks for the info on the media.

How long would you expect to write the DVD in x1 and x4 ? I just tried on a TDK x1 and it was approx the same as the bulkpaq x4. Not sure if it is the media or if I have a setting wrong somewhere.

Going to order some ritek blanks since my m8 uses them and he never has probs.

Cheers
Jak

jakdos said:
Thanks for the info on the media.

How long would you expect to write the DVD in x1 and x4 ? I just tried on a TDK x1 and it was approx the same as the bulkpaq x4. Not sure if it is the media or if I have a setting wrong somewhere.

Going to order some ritek blanks since my m8 uses them and he never has probs.

Cheers
Jak
Try a program like DVD Identifier to see or makes them. Just because it says TDK doesn't mean its good media in fact it could be junk. Why don't you just get one from your m8 just to rule out media?

jakdos

I've just tried doing the same movie to HD as an image file instead of burning to DVD. It is just as slow.......to me it def looks like a prob with settings somewhere but god knows where. 9% done after 35 mins with a further 144 mins to go...surely that can't be right ?

Cheers
Jak

Have you checked that both drives are still set to use DMA mode?
There was a thread here awhile ago that pointed out that XP sometimes reverts to PIO mode on its own. Or something you've done may have changed the setting.

cobo said:
Have you checked that both drives are still set to use DMA mode?
There was a thread here awhile ago that pointed out that XP sometimes reverts to PIO mode on its own. Or something you've done may have changed the setting.

Good point.. ;) Here is a link to a troubleshooter http://www.dvdrbase.com/showthread.php?t=32274

Installing software/hardware,updating firmware, new drivers,etc.. can fudge the settings.Sometimes you have to delete the IDE controllers,and reboot for the OS to repair it.

After reading your posts again, I wonder if the Reduction Method on the DVD tab under Advanced>> settings has been switched from High Speed to High Quality.

I've only used IC8 once to back-up a DVD a few months ago, but it was with the High Quality setting and if i remember correctly, 30 min. seems to short a time for it to do a 3hr. movie with the HQ setting. Maybe more expierenced users will comment on this.

I also wonder if changing the Programming interface type on the General tab would make a difference. What's it set to now?

Last edited:

jakdos

Right,

Thanks for the replies.

1. It is set to high quality, but then again that's what I used to have it set on. I do agree that 30 mins is quickk for a 3 hour film but I then did a 1h40m film and that took 3 hours as well.

2. The programming interface type is set on auto, with the following available to select - ASPI, ASAPI, Windows SPTI. What is the best setting here ?

3. My IDE channels are both set to DMA if available.

The only thing I have changed is my antivirus & firewall. I put Norton 2003 back on which I haven't used since I started using IC. I also use Kerio PFW 4 which doesn't take up much resource.

I'm going to uninstall Norton, disable firewall, and delete the IDE channels and reinstall them. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Jak

jakdos

Tried again without all the software and it was no better. I tried the same using high speed instead of high quality and it took 1 hour to create an image file on the HD

Obviously I prefer the high qual option but not if it is going to take 3 hours.

Cheers
Jak

I'm a bit confused..it seems you have 2 separate problems.

1.Instant Copy is slow transcoding.

2.Your dvdwriter was writing slow,is that correct?

Removing Norton 2003 is a good move since it is a resource hog.There used to be a removal tool at Symantec that cleaned all remnants of Norton.Might still be there.

jakdos

Sorry for the confusion.

At first I thought it was the actual burning that was slow, but after all the help / comments on here I wrote the image file to HD instead. The trouble is that the transcoding is slow. It never used to be, unless you guys can tell me that 2.5 - 3hrs is the norm for coding a 7.5GB dvd-decryptor copy at high quality ?

I'm sure there is no problem with the DVDRW or the media I'm using.
Cheers
Jak

Ah...okay,now I see.Yeah two separate operations,really. ;) 7.5 gigs is a lot to be compressed.Instant Copy with the high quality setting is slow to begin with.No real reason to be concerned.Using a different transcoder,say Dvd2One would result in an inferior copy with something this size.

I found a note I made when I backed-up the one DVD I've needed to transcode. Original is 6.78GB runs approx 2.5-2.75hrs. To transcode it to the hard drive with a P4-2.66Ghz, 364MB memory and no other programs running took 1:40hrs with IC8 and 1:57hrs with DVDshrink3.0 beta5.

3hrs seems reasonable to me with your set-up.

jakdos

Right guys - I'll have to live with it - or pester the wife to allow me to upgrade :)

Thanks for all the replies
Jak